Atomics vs Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoya97

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Okay, for the longest time (and tanks to Rodales) I thought that Atomics was the top of the regulator line. One day I stumble on SCUBABOARD and everyone talks about Apeks. I'm looking into getting involved with some tech stuff (wreck, deco dives etc) and would like to get a high end second setup. Currently have the SP Mk25/S600. I would love to hear about what others think vis a vis Atomics and Apeks.

Thanks bunches

Your Scubapro is an excellent regulator and I wouldn't be trading it for Atomics due to a perception that it's better.

Although I prefer Apeks and Aqualung your reg is as good as anything Atomic makes and is far easier to get service and parts for in more places worldwide.

Your scubapro is definately better than anything Atomics makes so stick with it. I currently dive an Apeks ATX200 which I love but the SP Mk25/S600 is very similar and, depending on if you are an Apeks guy or a SP guy, some would say better!

Safe Diving!

deluca2799:
Your scubapro is definately better than anything Atomics makes so stick with it.

Wow, that's a strong statement. The Scubapro Mk25/S600 is a fine regulator and I don't think you should replace it unless it is broken.

"Your scubapro is definately better than anything Atomics makes so stick with it."

I know a lot of Atomic owners that will disagree. Did you know that Atomic is owned and run by ex-Scubapro people ?

Here's the Cliffnotes version of Scubaboard Regulators 101:

Apeks - Excellent, awesome regs, and great in cold water too. Easy to get serviced.
Scubapro - Excellent, awesome regs - not so great in cold water. Easy to get serviced.
Atomics - Awesome regs, but way, way overpriced. Hard to get serviced.
Aqualung - Good overall, easy to get serviced.
Mares - Good recreational reg, arguably 'semi-tech' but not bad. Easy to get serviced.
Sherwood - Recreational only, simple and bulletproof, don't take deeper than 80 feet.
Anything else - junk.

Yes, I'm fully aware everyone else will have different opinions. I'm simply posting what I see is the board consensus, not my own personal opinions.

I own both an Atomic B1 and a pair of Apeks ATX50/DS4's.

Both are excellent regulators.

I prefer the way the B1 breaths, but would be hard pressed to communicate exactly why, it just seems more natural to me.

I did have some minor IP creep on my Atomic, but it's since been addressed.

I don't think you can go very wrong with either reg.

deluca2799:
Your scubapro is definately better than anything Atomics makes so stick with it. I currently dive an Apeks ATX200 which I love but the SP Mk25/S600 is very similar and, depending on if you are an Apeks guy or a SP guy, some would say better!

Safe Diving!
Hey there canuck person,
Have you ever actually dove an atomic reg. I have dove both an atomic and a scubapro and to make a blanket statement like that is pretty ignorant. I currently own an atomic and it is every bit as good a piece of equipment as the scubapro.

I never tried an Atomics product, but I can tell you that I own an Apeks ATX200 and ATX50 and both are outstanding regs. I would confidently recommend them to anyone.

Hoya97,

Your ScubaPro reg is an excellent model. I really see no need to consider changing to an Apeks unless you are unhappy with your choice. ScubaPro has their fair share of detractors (See www.thedecostop.com) due to some isolated problems with creeping intermediate pressure, but are hailed as very high quality regs.

I personally dive with Mares regs, and lean toward diaphragm first stages. Then again, I typically dive in water below 50 degress. In your area of Florida you would be lucky to ever see ice, let alone have one of your regs ice over.

Oh, Boogie, I can somewhat agree with your overviews. However, I certainly hope that Poseidon was inadvertently left off...It certainly wouldn't fall within the "junk category".

Buy a high quality reg that meets Navy Class A standards. Heck, two people can't overbreath one that meets such criteria. Yeah, the effort might be a little less on some models, but they still delivers more gas than a human could ever need.

Personally, I believe that any of the world's major manufacturers meet the needs of 95% of the world's divers, recreational or technical. Like I said, I use Mares regs. My dives are now limited to 150' (don't get me started on the deep air issue) and I am very pleased with their performance at this depth. They are very stable and offer absolutely no positive pressure breathing. I service them myself (along with other brands), and the rock solid construction has won my absolute confidence. When and if I start making deeper dives I will be using helium based blends. When helium mixes start flowing the breathing resistance drops substantially anyway.

As far as Apeks regs go. I have several friends who use them. They are very well engineered, yet actually quite simple. Their machining is second to none, and their HP seats seem to have earned a top notch reputation. Many HP seats begin failing early whenever the tank pressures routinely go above 3,000psi. ScubaPro, Mares, and others should quickly find out what their seats are composed off and take note. BTW, you should always initially pressurize any reg gingerly. The initial slamming action is very tough on anyone's first stage. I hold open the purge and turn the valve VERY slowly.

Greg Barlow

Back
Top Bottom