What is cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divescape

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Cold water is a relative subject. I dive in 9 celcius, 48.2 fahrenheit. I consider this to be cold wter, but it is not cold in relation to 0 celcius 32 F, so when you talk this is a good reg for cold water what do you mean?

Thanks

If I remember discussions of recent, below 45 degrees is a typical threshold (including manufacturer's literature) for a desire to implement cold water regulators. I have seen "cold water incidents" at 48 degrees. For me I use 50 degrees, though all of my diving is basically with cold water regs because despite summer water surface temps of 75 degrees, the thermocline is around 60 feet, and from there on down it will be in the 40's or cooler..

Last edited:
My cold water line is around 10 degrees Celsius, 50 degrees Fahrenheit, and the coldest I dove has been 5 degrees C (41 or so F?). Doable wet but I'm thinking I'll want to move to a drysuit sometime in the future for my local diving.

Basically if I get one of those 'ice cream headaches' it's cold water to me.

m.

Subscribed...if the regulator icing threshold is above 45 degrees I'm in trouble, though I've never had a problem.

45F is the number I commonly hear for regulators being at risk. Of course if you breathe hard enough issues a bit warmer may be possible. Between individual regulator design, condition and loading there's nothing absolute.

Pete

Winter in the UK I have been in 6 degree water. No problem for Apeks sealed regs or Poseidon Xtremes.

Thank for all the replies to date, knowledge is power when it comes to gear selection.

36 degrees is cold! :)

2011-01-29-a%20%20%20136%20-M.jpg

If I remember discussions of recent, below 45 degrees is a typical threshold (including manufacturer's literature) for a desire to implement cold water regulators. I have seen "cold water incidents" at 48 degrees. For me I use 50 degrees.

Agreed 100%, as I too have seen incidents of free flow in water in the high 40 degree range. If there is any chance that you will encounter water in the sub-50 degree fahrenheit / sub-10 degree celsius range, go for an environmentally sealed / cold water kit equipped first stage rather than a typical unequipped "tropical" first stage set up to minimize the chance of free flow due to cold water use. While I own Aqualung, US Divers and Mares regulators with environmental kits for my personal use, almost all of today's manufacturers offer a reliable, high performance regulator with cold water protection, either as a standard or optional feature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom