Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What is cold water

Registered

Just bought my first Dive Boat

Dives
    50 - 99

What is cold water

Cold water is a relative subject. I dive in 9 celcius, 48.2 fahrenheit. I consider this to be cold wter, but it is not cold in relation to 0 celcius 32 F, so when you talk this is a good reg for cold water what do you mean?

Thanks

Registered

sampling good bourbons while
    waiting for the ice to melt...

Dives
    100 - 199
    If I remember discussions of recent, below 45 degrees is a typical threshold (including manufacturer's literature) for a desire to implement cold water regulators. I have seen "cold water incidents" at 48 degrees. For me I use 50 degrees, though all of my diving is basically with cold water regs because despite summer water surface temps of 75 degrees, the thermocline is around 60 feet, and from there on down it will be in the 40's or cooler..
    Last edited by rhwestfall; November 28th, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
    USdiver1 likes this.
    Bob

getting a Kraken!!!!

Registered

Living landlocked...

Dives
    50 - 99
    My cold water line is around 10 degrees Celsius, 50 degrees Fahrenheit, and the coldest I dove has been 5 degrees C (41 or so F?). Doable wet but I'm thinking I'll want to move to a drysuit sometime in the future for my local diving.

Basically if I get one of those 'ice cream headaches' it's cold water to me.

m.

Registered

outgassing nitrogen

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Subscribed...if the regulator icing threshold is above 45 degrees I'm in trouble, though I've never had a problem.

Dive Bum Wannabe

is Ready to Dive

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    45F is the number I commonly hear for regulators being at risk. Of course if you breathe hard enough issues a bit warmer may be possible. Between individual regulator design, condition and loading there's nothing absolute.

Pete
    My ever growing collection of assorted ramblings on scuba topics can be read here.

No sequence of classes will make a good diver out of you, if you aren't actively diving and practicing in the meantime.
    TSandM

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Winter in the UK I have been in 6 degree water. No problem for Apeks sealed regs or Poseidon Xtremes.

Registered

Just bought my first Dive Boat

Dives
    50 - 99
    Thank for all the replies to date, knowledge is power when it comes to gear selection.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

What is cold water

40-42 and lower. From what I have seen thats the temp where regs like S600 with the plastic barrel start being finicky

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    36 degrees is cold! :-)

Registered

dives vintage gear.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Quote Originally Posted by rhwestfall View Post
    If I remember discussions of recent, below 45 degrees is a typical threshold (including manufacturer's literature) for a desire to implement cold water regulators. I have seen "cold water incidents" at 48 degrees. For me I use 50 degrees.
    Agreed 100%, as I too have seen incidents of free flow in water in the high 40 degree range. If there is any chance that you will encounter water in the sub-50 degree fahrenheit / sub-10 degree celsius range, go for an environmentally sealed / cold water kit equipped first stage rather than a typical unequipped "tropical" first stage set up to minimize the chance of free flow due to cold water use. While I own Aqualung, US Divers and Mares regulators with environmental kits for my personal use, almost all of today's manufacturers offer a reliable, high performance regulator with cold water protection, either as a standard or optional feature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast