New Dive Rite XT's reviews??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

upton75

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have looked around but have been unable to locate any true reviews on the Dive Rite XT regulators. Does anybody on this forum have any experience with them?

Thanks for any help

I own the XT and have performed about 10 dives on it so far. I am using it as my primary regulator in a doubles configuration, and I also own one for my single tank regulator. For the money, I think the regulator is great. Dive Rite has completely sealed the 1st stage, which is very nice when it comes to clean up post dive. Those that own the 3100 may recall there is a spot where water can get trapped on the outside of the 1st stage. Not the case with the XT. The XT has no external adjustment holes or other orifices for water to become trapped. I have dove the XT all the way down to 220' I found the regulator to be an excellent breathing regulator at all times. Although there was a discernible difference in breathing at 220', the reg performed flawlessly and was still comfortable to breathe. The second stage is lightweight, and the button purge on the face of the 2nd stage is nice, as I scooter when I dive, and full face purge buttons tend to free flow in 3rd gear. This reg does not. I read the complaint that someone had about it wet breathing. That has not been my experience so far. Since I am entering wrecks, getting into weird positions all the time, I would have thought that if there was a wet breathing issue I would have noticed it. The only thing I did not like about this regulator was the mouthpiece that shipped with the 2nd stage. However thisis a minor issue, and easily remedied. I replaced a Dive-Rite 3100 with a HOG second stage with this regulator. The Dive-Rite/HOG configuration was awful. Any time I would slightly turn my head in a specific way, the reg would allow water in. I wouldn't call it a flood, but it was bothersome enough to spend money to replace.

Overall I really like the XT. If you decide to buy this regulator, I think you will be very happy with it. For the price you cant go wrong. If you have specific questions regarding this regulator, or my use of it I will do my best to answer them.

I just got one today and have yet to dive it, but it looks nice.
The only thing I don't like about it so far is that I cannot remove the diaphragm on the second stage to clean it out.
The face plate/purge cover un screws, then there is a retaining ring that unscrews to remove the diaphragm.
Looks like you need a tool to remove this ring to access the guts for the second stage.

Jim Breslin

---------- Post added February 13th, 2013 at 03:10 PM ----------

Diaphragm problem solved. Just needed a little more elbow grease to unscrew it.
I like that the face plate can come off and the diaphragm stays intack.

Jim breslin

I own the XT and have performed about 10 dives on it so far. I am using it as my primary regulator in a doubles configuration, and I also own one for my single tank regulator. For the money, I think the regulator is great......

Sorry to drag this post up, but in the 6 months or so since your last post on the XT1, any new thoughts? Also, did you find it to have any awkward routing issues for your doubles?

I'm looking at a doubles config, and I found a pair of the 1st stages for a really good deal. I would probably switch over my Aqualung Titan 2nd stages to the rig.

I still stand behind my earlier comments - still using the regs. For the price I love them. I have no issues with hose routing on my doubles. I really have no complaints about these regs and would buy them again.

I have about 20 dives on mine to date and I can't tell any difference between these any my
hurricanes. So, that being said I would buy it again.

Thanks, Jim

I was using mine 4 times a week until this wonderful weather started hitting South Florida! I probably have 100 or so dives on mine since my initial post.

FYI, DiveRite has stopped selling parts to the end user and keeps there repair manuals secret with this new reg (it looks like the XT is the only reg they sell now). It sucks to see a company like DiveRite cave into the industry norm when they used to be a leader, now they are just your typical follower. There is a lame explanation for this on DR's forum in the manufacturers section. Just something to keep in mind.

FYI, DiveRite has stopped selling parts to the end user and keeps there repair manuals secret with this new reg (it looks like the XT is the only reg they sell now). It sucks to see a company like DiveRite cave into the industry norm when they used to be a leader, now they are just your typical follower. There is a lame explanation for this on DR's forum in the manufacturers section. Just something to keep in mind.

I quick look at the DiveRite forum got me nowhere. Was it maybe discussed somewhere else?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom