Hollis 500se

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kenny kustom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone tried the new hollis side exhaust reg?
Thoughts?

Due to a few returns to LP, I have a substantial credit. Needs to be spent there.
I use a aeris 400 ion right now, thinking about maybe a new reg.

Would like side exhaust.
So either hollis or the poseidon.

The design is an upstream design meaning if the reg fails, instead of free flowing, the gas just shuts off. All upstream or "servo assisted" designs are like this. They will also dump all the gas out at about 200 PSI or so. Just wondering why do you want side exhaust? I've used a poseidon jetstream before and the change in bubbles between that and an XTX50 with the large T on it was not much of a difference. All side exhaust designs are upstream that I can think of.

Ahh the good old poseidon will kill you if it fails myth... Not true

This looks like the newer version of the Oceanic Omega regulator.

I hope it breathes dryer than the original omega, I only used one once (for 4 dives as I recall) and I couldn't believe how wet it was- regardless of orientation. In contrast a Poseidon Jetstream I used needed a tilt to clear but was otherwise OK.
Nice looking reg though- very space age, I look forward to a report after someone dive it?

Hi. Just took delivery of a Hollis 500SE. Whilst it IS based on the old Omega 3 side stream reg it was designed to address the issue of wet breathing. I've only done a couple of dives with it since getting it 2 days ago but have found easy dry diving even when working in a current with reduced tank pressure. There is also a new Oceanic version of the Omega 3 coming out too.

The design is an upstream design meaning if the reg fails, instead of free flowing, the gas just shuts off. All upstream or "servo assisted" designs are like this...

My understanding is the Hollis 500se second stage uses the exact same parts as the Oceanic Omegas 1 & 2 on the supply side. Both the control and servo valves are downstream, not upstream. I have applied higher supply pressures to the second stage of Omegas using an umbilical and it does freeflow, though at much higher pressures than conventional second stages.

Once the pressure on the servo valve overcomes the spring pressure on the lever with its molded seat, it is pushed open. Dropping pressure at a faster rate than can flow through the machined hole in the main valve diaphragm causes the rubber to deflect away from the metal seat. It doesn’t get much simpler.

Last edited:
I recently purchased four of these units, two for me and two for my dive buddy with the DC7 first stages. I am a relatively new diver and do not by any means have a lot of experience on many different regs. With that being said, I got the 500se because I was in the process of buying a full set of gear, I had done some research on brands (thanks scubaboard!) and I liked a lot of the Hollis Kit. My LDS is an authorized dealer for Hollis and because of some excellent pricing and recommendations from another diver that had used the 500se I made the purchase.

I only have a few dives on them but I can say that I am very happy with my decision so far. One of the reasons I wanted my own gear was because I was unhappy with the performance of the rental equipment I kept getting. On the rental regs, I could feel a difference in breathing effort with respect to depth and being a relatively new diver that kinda stressed me out. These units do not seem to have that problem. The side exhaust is nice, my buddy was always complaining about the "bubbles in her face" and she seems much happier with these regs. I'd imagine it could be helpful for someone doing photography or video as well in that regard.

Before I had the regs in hand, I did read this thread earlier and saw the post about getting down to 200 PSI and dumping out all the gas. That stuck in my mind on my first dive and as we were wrapping up for the day I decided to sit in a few feet of water and breathe my tank down to 0. I managed to get to about 50PSI before I figured that was good enough and I didn't feel any difference in performance. Now granted that was only in a few feet of water.

The only complaint I have had on these so far, and its a non-issue as my buddy now understands the "physics" of the situation, is free-flowing. We are using these as a matched set for primary and backup and when the backup is worn on a necklace and its not tilted correctly when you first get into the water will start free-flowing right into your face.

Other than that I love the regs and look forward to many more dives on them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom