Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The new Scubapro Mk 21 !!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

The new Scubapro Mk 21 !!

Just had the pleasure of opening up one of the just released Scubapro Mk 21's at the DEMA Service Seminar. The Mk 21 is being marketed as a lesser priced alternative to the Mk 25, and I think they've hit all the marks.
    20131109_142334.jpg20131109_142256.jpg
    This think looks like it could be a real sweet first stage! The internals are right from the Mk 25, and incorporate all the ice-shedding features that make it among the best cold water pistons: the TIS sleeve around the piston shaft, a second wiper o-ring, and the plastic spacer above the piston head.

From a cost-saving standpoint (and maybe a theoretical "failure-point" standpoint) the swivel turret has been replaced by one of two fixed heads held in place by TORX screws that come off at either 30 degrees or 45 degrees depending upon what you want. Haven't seen it, but I hear the 45-degree head also has an end port for super high flow. From a designer who's supposedly a Ducati rider back in Italy, we see a pretty snazzy looking case design reminiscent of a motorcycle cylinder head. The heat absorptive capability of those fins is not insignificant re: freezing. They're not just for looks.

Of course, the IP is externally adjustable with the hex screw on the right side of the picture, just like the Mk 25.

The very cool looks aside, I think this is indeed going to be a Mk 25 performer at about $100 less in retail cost. If you have to have a swivel, this one is not for you.
    Those who've seen my posts won't classify me as a Scubapro fanboy, even though I service them regularly. I'm an equal opportunity critic, lol! But I felt privileged to be able to take this one apart - I think it's going to be fantastic!
    Last edited by rsingler; November 25th, 2013 at 02:39 PM.

Registered

is set

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    Maybe this is Scubapro's answer to the Apeks Tek series. Now if they would only sell the MK-19 in the US.
    rhwestfall likes this.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    You didn't mention the biggest advantage.......no pin spanner needed to service.
    Have I mentioned that I hate those things!

---------- Post added November 25th, 2013 at 01:29 PM ----------

The 0/30 degree with 5th port would be the one to get.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Fatal oversight: they forgot the exhaust pipe and maybe an oil cooler.

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

Headed to the East end of
    Grand Cayman!

Dives
    5,000 - ∞

Thumbs up Scubapro MK 21!

I can wait to take it diving!

Special deals on SCUBA gear for
    scubaboard members: PM Casey

Solo Diver

Instructor

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    @beaverdiver

Me too, I can wait.......

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Amazingly ugly. Pair this with a X650 2nd stage and you'll have a regulator that could curdle milk.
    buddhasummer likes this.

Pub Resident
    Go Red - Support SB!

Of questionable status

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    If I was diving in milk, that could be a problem.
    "The significant problems we face today cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein

We are perfectly designed to get the results we are getting. - Tom Northrup

Please don't tell Mom I work in the oilfield. She think's I'm a piano player in a whorehouse.

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by rsingler View Post
    Just had the pleasure of opening up one of the just released Scubapro Mk 21's at the DEMA Service Seminar. The Mk 21 is being marketed as a lesser priced alternative to the Mk 25, and I think they've hit all the marks.
    20131109_142334.jpg20131109_142256.jpg
    This think looks like it could be a real sweet first stage! The internals are right from the Mk 25, and incorporate all the ice-shedding features that make it among the best cold water pistons: the TIS sleeve around the piston shaft, a second wiper o-ring, and the plastic spacer above the piston head.....
    That does not look like the Mk20/25's composite piston. It looks like a solid metal piston with just one o-ring?

It also does not look like the same manufacturer as the Mk20/25. Any idea who/where it is made?
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Defender!

's status: Under the
    totem pole.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Thanks Rsingler,

I want to see the good Dr. return to this thread in a couple of years after those torx screws have had a chance to play in a salt water environment and begin a bit of galvanic action. What material are those fasteners made of?
    Nemrod and buddhasummer like this.
    Thank you to all who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast