The new Scubapro Mk 21 !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just had the pleasure of opening up one of the just released Scubapro Mk 21's at the DEMA Service Seminar. The Mk 21 is being marketed as a lesser priced alternative to the Mk 25, and I think they've hit all the marks.
20131109_142334.jpg20131109_142256.jpg
This think looks like it could be a real sweet first stage! The internals are right from the Mk 25, and incorporate all the ice-shedding features that make it among the best cold water pistons: the TIS sleeve around the piston shaft, a second wiper o-ring, and the plastic spacer above the piston head.

From a cost-saving standpoint (and maybe a theoretical "failure-point" standpoint) the swivel turret has been replaced by one of two fixed heads held in place by TORX screws that come off at either 30 degrees or 45 degrees depending upon what you want. Haven't seen it, but I hear the 45-degree head also has an end port for super high flow. From a designer who's supposedly a Ducati rider back in Italy, we see a pretty snazzy looking case design reminiscent of a motorcycle cylinder head. The heat absorptive capability of those fins is not insignificant re: freezing. They're not just for looks.

Of course, the IP is externally adjustable with the hex screw on the right side of the picture, just like the Mk 25.

The very cool looks aside, I think this is indeed going to be a Mk 25 performer at about $100 less in retail cost. If you have to have a swivel, this one is not for you.
Those who've seen my posts won't classify me as a Scubapro fanboy, even though I service them regularly. I'm an equal opportunity critic, lol! But I felt privileged to be able to take this one apart - I think it's going to be fantastic!

Last edited:
Maybe this is Scubapro's answer to the Apeks Tek series. Now if they would only sell the MK-19 in the US.

You didn't mention the biggest advantage.......no pin spanner needed to service.
Have I mentioned that I hate those things!

---------- Post added November 25th, 2013 at 01:29 PM ----------

The 0/30 degree with 5th port would be the one to get.

I can wait to take it diving!

If I was diving in milk, that could be a problem.:wink:

Just had the pleasure of opening up one of the just released Scubapro Mk 21's at the DEMA Service Seminar. The Mk 21 is being marketed as a lesser priced alternative to the Mk 25, and I think they've hit all the marks.
View attachment 171903View attachment 171904
This think looks like it could be a real sweet first stage! The internals are right from the Mk 25, and incorporate all the ice-shedding features that make it among the best cold water pistons: the TIS sleeve around the piston shaft, a second wiper o-ring, and the plastic spacer above the piston head.....

That does not look like the Mk20/25's composite piston. It looks like a solid metal piston with just one o-ring?

It also does not look like the same manufacturer as the Mk20/25. Any idea who/where it is made?

Thanks Rsingler,

I want to see the good Dr. return to this thread in a couple of years after those torx screws have had a chance to play in a salt water environment and begin a bit of galvanic action. What material are those fasteners made of?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom