1987 Regulator Olympics by USN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have that report already in paper. Nice read. I also had one, ANSTI, from 2012, I think it was but I lost it, or at least cannot find it now. I also got it once a few months back at the library. Does anyone have a link to it? I think the ANSTI tests are more complete and relevant for sport divers. They are actually very similar.

N

Nice to see, but a 1987 report on regulators has virtually no validity today.

How is that?

Do you really think they have improved that much? Well, they have not and one of the regs tested was the SP G250 which only went out of production this year to be replaced by the G260. The G250V is now produced for Halycon (?).

The Conshelf XIV is just a metal Titan XL (well, almost) and the Legend and the Titan use the same first stage in slightly different configuration as did the Conshelf which goes back to the Royal Aqua Master double hsoe and all use the same internal first stage parts essentially.

The Posiedin regulators are as they are, not a whole lot has changed and the new Oceanic Omega III just introduced for 2014 is the same internals as the Omega II with a new housing and other minor (questionable) improvements if my research is correct. The "Balanced Adjustable" tested was the SP109BA with MkV first stage if I recall which is still considered an all around top notch regulator by almost any standard and the Mares MR12 is still in production in a plastic (composite) housing to this day, a better but still internally similar first stage. As well, y'all will have to check with the Navy, but my information leads me to believe they still use the same test procedures, the ANSTI testing is slightly different. The Conshelf XIV also still is made and KM has a BA version that cost a bunch and is available in chrome brass and composite second stage versions.

N

I learned to dive in the early-90s and the dive shop I was certified at used this list as a sales tool as they claimed to be the only shop in the the area that sold three of the class A regulators.

Funny, I've only been diving for 4 years and use two of the regs listed (own 3 more-to be used again this spring) in that report. Seems fairly valid to me.

Can you provide any comparable results for "modern" regulators? I have not been able to find any. I suspect the reason may be that the results for new regs is no different than we see from 1987 (and older test: ADA048033).

I have a question. The Conshelf SE2 is a class A regulator while the Conshelf 21 is a class B. What are the differences between these two models? The service kits are the same. Is it just the hose diameter?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom