Changing Apeks XTX 50 from yoke to DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone,

Last year I was talked out of buying the XTX 50 reg with the DIN first stage and ever since then I have regretted it, but we wont get into that. My LDS recently told me that it is an easy fix and can be done quickly and that it will be just like buying it as a DIN in the first place. Of course I want to believe them, but I really want to know if this is all true? Or should I stick with the yoke for now and get a new first stage when I start doing more technical diving?

Thanks again!

Yes, it is an easy fix and can be fitted in less than 5 minutes. I have done it. I paid around $45 for the parts. What tanks do you use? Unless you live in Europe or tech dive or your LDS hires din tanks yoke are by far the most common tanks.

It is not an adaptation but native factory parts and yes it will make it a DIN reg exactly the same as if you'd bought a DIN reg to begin with. They are telling the truth.

Ok awesome. that's what I wanted to here! I plan on diving tech asap and most of the shops do offer DIN tanks so that should be fine. Is the DIN to yoke adapter easy to use? I don't plan to have to use one much but I may use it sometimes after I make this switch. If it is annoying to use should I wait till I start tech classes to have it done switched over?

I don't like adapters as they move the 1st stage closer to your head which can cause head 1st stage contact. But in a pinch they are doable, I wouldn't want to be using one too frequently.

I don't like adapters as they move the 1st stage closer to your head which can cause head 1st stage contact.

That is what someone told me at the shop I got my reg at. But then I went to a different shop and they showed me that it maybe adds a quarter of an inch.

That 1/4" can be enough, it also depends where the tank is situated. Down low can help. Often it will only come into contact when you look up.

Almost all my regs are DIN but I have the a yoke conversion kit for each brand that I can put back on if I know I am going somewhere that is almost exclusively yoke, Caribbean.

If you get the DiN conversion keep the yoke kit, it is not difficult to change back and forth with the proper tools.

Ok awesome. that's what I wanted to here! I plan on diving tech asap and most of the shops do offer DIN tanks so that should be fine. Is the DIN to yoke adapter easy to use? I don't plan to have to use one much but I may use it sometimes after I make this switch. If it is annoying to use should I wait till I start tech classes to have it done switched over?

When you say you will be diving tech do you mean wearing a back plate and wing? Or do you mean actually doing planned decompression dives?

If you mean planned decompression dives, you may as well keep that reg as a yoke regulator and use it when you are doing recreational dives. IMO it does not make sense to convert that then having to buy a yoke adapter since you most likely will start out diving doubles (two separate regulators) and probably carry at least one more stage regulator while doing planned deco dives.

If by tech you mean diving a back plate and wing there's really no need to switch to DIN. Save your money and go diving :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom