Octopus..what's the best in cold water..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Quebec

Reaction score
Me and my girlfriend just bought two Sherwood Maximus and we're looking for an octopus...we were thinking about the Dacor Viper Octo or the Oceanic Swivel 180 octo...they are slimline octos but none of them have adjustement valve for free flow..do we need that as well?

Octos will be detuned to prevent freeflow while they're just hanging out on you. The problem is that breathing heavily off one of these "cheap" octos in cold water could definitely cause them to freeflow.

The solution is to buy a higher quality second stage with a heat exchanger, such as an Apeks (A)TX40 or similar.

If you're actually talking cold water (below 40f IMHO) then those you suggested may not suffice. Others have suggested Apeks which is fine. Another suggestion is to find a Sherwood Blizzard. I buy them used fairly cheaply here in the States. Work extremely well in real cold water, even below freezing (32f).

I use two Blizzards on my cold water set-up.

DSDO

Alan

Since you already have a Maximus I would suggest getting a Blizzard.
It does not have to be yellow, just look for a good used one and get it set up as an octo and go with a yellow hose or hose cover.

Gary

If you like the slimline type of octo, Apeks makes the Egress slimline that will work in cold water, if the first stage is sealed (like an ATX200).

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:cool1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom