Snorling first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kani

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there.

I have a set of older Aqualung Legend regs. Few weeks ago the one 1. stage started to be noisy when delivering air. It was both abowe and under Water. The sound appears when using the feeder or heavy demanding breathing, the sound is like a snorling. Ohterwise everything seems okay, and I am given the air requested.
I left the regs to my local supliers to have it serviced, and got it back a couple of days ago. After that the 2 first dives was okay, but yesterday on my 3rd dive, the sound re-appears!
Any suggestion on this problem?
I am upon an eastern dive trip, with no possibility of a renewed service before the trip. So I am actually also seeking advice if it will be safe to dive with.

BR
Karsten

It is an interesting coincidence that there have recently been other threads regarding first stage "noises" similar to what your are describing.

As with those other cases, my best guess would be a harmonic resonance of the first stage spring. It probably is not a problem, as long as the regulator is performing normally other than the noise.

Sometimes the problem can be corrected by taking the first stage apart and flipping the spring, sometimes just rotating the spring 90 degrees will work, sometimes the spring will need to be replaced, and sometimes nothing will work.

Good luck, and let us know if you are able to correct the problem.

Best wishes.

Are you sure that it is from the first stage? I occasionally get a similar sound from a second stage.

Hey hunter. Yas I am dead sure. However, I can also make my 2nd stage make noises, mainly when inhailing slowly! However, that's another story :)
It is very interesting what your say LeadTurn, I have looked alot i various threads to find anything similar, but so far without any luck. If you are right, I will be very happy. However, I pay a visit to the LDS tomorrow, and hope he have a good explanaition. Will let you know what is going on.

Thanks for your posts :)

Hi Kani,

This was the thread I was thinking about in which another diver reported fluttering or clacking sounds from his Aqualung first stage:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/477308-what-sound-my-reg-making.html

The dive shop did a good job trying to find the problem, and in the end decided it was probably a harmonic vibration of the 1st stage spring. I think this type of problem is more common with piston first stages, but apparently it can also occur with diaphragm first stages.

I believe it is related to the mating surfaces of the spring and components it contacts; sometime the spring can vibrate during inhalation and produce a sound. Sometime changing the "orientation" of the spring will stop the vibration, sometimes not.

Or, something else might be causing the sound, but I can't think of too many other "suspects". I imagine some of the more experienced guys on this board might have an idea.... I'm just a beginner.

Good luck!

if i remember , noises/ vibrations problems on Aqualung Legend were caused by a lack of good lubrication of the O ring into the HP chamber ( small one in the HP seat i guess) AQL recommended to lubricated it only with Christolube 111 and not silicone grease. Maybe something to try.?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom