Din vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RandomGuy1

Contributor
Reaction score
I am sure this has been beaten to death in the past, but I couldn't find anything recent so I figured I would ask. As a new diver looking to buy my first reg, should I even be looking at DIN? It seems like a much better connection to me, but I don't want to be stuck using an adapter all the time. So for those of you who do most of your diving in the US / Caribbean, would I be better off still going with a yoke or a din w/ adapter? If I go Din, will I have a hard time getting rental tanks? My primary diving will probably be off the NC coast and in quarries as it is the closest. I want to buy one reg and have it last me a long time. I am leaning toward the Hollis 212 / dc1 or 2. What is the general consensus on that reg and should I go for the dc1 or dc2?

If you are buying and using your own tanks, DIN is a good choice. If you're renting tanks, rental tanks are almost always yoke in these locations. My stuff is DIN and on the occasions I rent a tank I use an adapter. It's no big deal to adapt but if you're doing it all the time then why bother with DIN at all is my opinion.

DIN with adapter for me. If you're able to get DIN tanks (which a lot of places do have these days), then it will be much nicer for you, otherwise you'll be using the adapter and won't have lost much.

Just don't rely on the availability of DIN tanks even if you're told that they will have them 100%... always take the adapter with you.

We have both at home and 2 bottles 232 and 300 bar,
Joke is quite fast to connect, and had no problem with them, the din system is nice, but since almost all din regulators are for 300 bottles it does not fit all on a 232 bar bottle.

Enviado desde móvil con TapaTalk 4

300 din bar connections are larger than the 232 ones..

Enviado desde móvil con TapaTalk 4

I am sure this has been beaten to death in the past, but I couldn't find anything recent so I figured I would ask. As a new diver looking to buy my first reg, should I even be looking at DIN? It seems like a much better connection to me, but I don't want to be stuck using an adapter all the time. So for those of you who do most of your diving in the US / Caribbean, would I be better off still going with a yoke or a din w/ adapter? If I go Din, will I have a hard time getting rental tanks? My primary diving will probably be off the NC coast and in quarries as it is the closest. I want to buy one reg and have it last me a long time. I am leaning toward the Hollis 212 / dc1 or 2. What is the general consensus on that reg and should I go for the dc1 or dc2?

Most shops I've seen have convertible tank valves, so just get DIN and carry the appropriate allen wrench.

Where in NC are you?

The reason you cannot find anything recent is because din and yoke haven't changed since their inception. For the US and Caribbean I would buy a yoke regulator because most rental tanks will be yoke.

As far as the regulators go, the second stage is usually more important than the first. For hose routing I would go with the DC1 over the DC3.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom