mares Ti titanium regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gaudencio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I'm planning to buy this mares Ti titanium regulator, they are on sale here i. they are selling it around $ 267. Unlike the mares ruby they are selling it at around $ 586. Can anyone give me adivce on the Ti regs. Are they good? I'v read that they are 2nd to mares ruby. I'm very puzzled why they are selling it that cheap here. :bounce:

JimmyT.

Because they didnt sell that well, and they are old. The second stage hose nut is hard to tighten as well, up against the body of the first stage (not designed very well in that regard). Dont use it with anything over 40% O2... titanium tends to burn in high O2. Other than that, its a Mares reg. Balanced diaphragm, nothing special...

The Ti was nothing more than a titanium version of the V16 Akros. Mares was simply attempting to cash in on the titanium craze that went on for a time. It is actually a very good breathing reg. I use two Akros second stages for my technical rig and have no complaints. I now have more than 250+ dives on them without a single problem. One (back-up reg) has the original HP poppet/seat. The second stage has a nice sized exhaust tee that tends to disperse bubbles a bit better than many of the latest second stages on the market. I also like the larger diaphragm which gives a bit of mechanical advantage as well.

Lubold is absolutely correct in that EAN40+ shouldn't be used in this or any other Ti reg. I've said it many times, TITANIUM REGS ARE A SOLUTION TO A NON-EXISTANT PROBLEM.

The price is excellent for the reg, though. Heck, I would give that amount in a heartbeat just for the point of having it.

I would have the second stage poppet seat reversed/replaced by a tech. After a period of time the seat takes a set that will likely result in an annoying leak. This is not a point just for the Mares regs, as any reg that has the poppet continuously forced against the crown will do the same over time.

If you need any other technical data on the reg let me know.

Greg

Greg Barlow:
The Ti was nothing more than a titanium version of the V16 Akros. Mares was simply attempting to cash in on the titanium craze that went on for a time. It is actually a very good breathing reg. I use two Akros second stages for my technical rig and have no complaints. I now have more than 250+ dives on them without a single problem. One (back-up reg) has the original HP poppet/seat. The second stage has a nice sized exhaust tee that tends to disperse bubbles a bit better than many of the latest second stages on the market. I also like the larger diaphragm which gives a bit of mechanical advantage as well.

Lubold is absolutely correct in that EAN40+ shouldn't be used in this or any other Ti reg. I've said it many times, TITANIUM REGS ARE A SOLUTION TO A NON-EXISTANT PROBLEM.

The price is excellent for the reg, though. Heck, I would give that amount in a heartbeat just for the point of having it.

I would have the second stage poppet seat reversed/replaced by a tech. After a period of time the seat takes a set that will likely result in an annoying leak. This is not a point just for the Mares regs, as any reg that has the poppet continuously forced against the crown will do the same over time.

If you need any other technical data on the reg let me know.

Greg

Thanks Greg and Lubold for your info, I think I might get the Ruby or a Scubapro instead.
Jimmy T. :laghost:

gaudencio:
Thanks Greg and Lubold for your info, I think I might get the Ruby or a Scubapro instead.
Jimmy T. :laghost:

The Ruby is an Abyss with a synthetic Ruby HP seat. It (Ruby) is a great reg, but IMO not worth the extra $ over the price of the Abyss. I have both a Ruby and an Abyss. And like the TI, it hasn't been manufactured for a couple of years -- if you find a new one for sale, its been sitting on a shelf for awhile.

Todd

TDunbar:
The Ruby is an Abyss with a synthetic Ruby HP seat.

You can also have an abyss modified to use the spherical seat and poppet setup in the v-32, basically a ruby - but instead of the ruby, they make that part from stainless. The spherical seats are extremelly dependable... no flat seat to cut into and start IP creep like the standard mr12, or mr22.

gaudencio:
Hi,
I'm planning to buy this mares Ti titanium regulator, they are on sale here i. they are selling it around $ 267. Unlike the mares ruby they are selling it at around $ 586. Can anyone give me adivce on the Ti regs. Are they good? I'v read that they are 2nd to mares ruby. I'm very puzzled why they are selling it that cheap here. :bounce:

JimmyT.

I am the proud owner of a Mares Ti titanium reg and I love it. I've never breathed on a reg that's eaiser or more comfortable than the TI and I've used it for both Nitrox and air. The reg has performed extremely well in every water temp I've used it from 43 degrees farienhieght to 75 degrees. I love my TI and I'm sure anyone who's used them will agree. According to scubatoys.com Mares has ceased shipping TI's to the states b/c no one will pay the $1,000 asking price for them. If you get a chance to get it for less I'd jump on it. Scubatoys.com has a sale going on right now at $499 and I'm tempted to buy another just incase I ever need an extra reg. The only other thing I have to add it that the Titanium regs only have to be service every two years rather than every one, so if you're cramped for time or you travel a lot take a good look at them. I hope this helps!

While I am a user of Mares regs, as well as a tech, I can tell you that the Ti Planet doesn't have a longer service interval than any of the other Mares regs. The reason why it hasn't been imported is that it was not a model that sold well. My prediction is that within the next decade, titanium regs will be dropped from nearly every line that now offers one. I believe that the ScubaPro and Atomic models will be the most likely to survive.

The first stage of the Ti is actually a V16 with the bottom case extended to match the HP valve section. The sperical core seal system is (for the majority of regs) lasting longer than the standard HP poppet assembly. Many of the ones that I have serviced look great after more than 100 dives. One of my own 16's is going on 3 years with the original seat and poppet.

I would suggest being real careful not to allow the 2nd stage face plate to be handled roughly. The titanium based cover can get scratched a bit easier than the polymer based Akros version from which is was dervied.

Greg

Greg Barlow:
While I am a user of Mares regs, as well as a tech, I can tell you that the Ti Planet doesn't have a longer service interval than any of the other Mares regs.

Greg

Depending on the reg, the Mares service interval is one year - or two years. A MR12 1st stage requires 1 year service, the TI Planet - every 2 years. It is stated right on the little plastic - credit card looking warranty cards that come with them.

If anyone really needs to see it... I'll be happy to scan in the info straight from the regs and post it....

scubatoys:
Depending on the reg, the Mares service interval is one year - or two years. A MR12 1st stage requires 1 year service, the TI Planet - every 2 years. It is stated right on the little plastic - credit card looking warranty cards that come with them.

If anyone really needs to see it... I'll be happy to scan in the info straight from the regs and post it....

Larry,

I will grant that the titanium version first stage can probably go a 2 year service interval, but it isn't due to the titanium alloy. It is quite simply that the V16 SCS design generally has greater longevity over the standard MR12/16/22 HP poppet with the brass crown. And, yes, checking my Mares policy, the Ti does have the 2 year interval.

Personally, I really like the Akros design second stage. While I am now using Protons for single hose diving, I still stand with the original Akros for my doubles. The breathing is excellent, and the bubble dispersion is superior to the Proton. As you are aware, the Akros was created to be a metal inserts/polymer case version of the Vortex/Abyss second stage.

BTW, I have spent a bit of time on your site, and really enjoy it. It sounds like you are running a great operation!

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom