Dacor Viper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got two that have a dive on each. If you dive more than 5 times a year, buy Apeks, Scubapro, etc.. I would recommend against Vipers. If you really want some, I'll sell you 2 for a great price.

Originally posted by Divesherpa
I've got two that have a dive on each. If you dive more than 5 times a year, buy Apeks, Scubapro, etc.. I would recommend against Vipers. If you really want some, I'll sell you 2 for a great price.

So it's your opinion that the Viper is not a good regulator? When you mention if I dive more than 5+ times a year get something else, why? Just curious to your reason.

:confused:

I have heard there were problems with the Dacor Viper and Viper America-I think that's the name of it. They tended to free flow quite a bit. There was a replacementsecond stage part that was made by Dacor, and it performed better.

The Viper METAL(how long can this viper series go on?) got very good reviews from DiverNet in the U.K. I do like the idea of their first stage swivel.

No matter what side exhaust regs. can be made to breath wet-just slightly wet but some divers hate this fact. I don't mind it and I dive cold water and that's why I have a Poseidon Odin. They also tend to free flow.

The viper Metal even LOOKS cool.......but I would buy an Apeks-I don't know how many times I've said that. If you dive in cold/ice then I would get an Odin-otherwise the Apeks TX100 or TX50 or TX40. As a matter of fact I just saw that www.diveinn.com has the Apeks TX40 with DST DIN first stage in stock!!! That reg. is highly prized and is well respected-it's the model I would own if I didn't ice dive.

Mike

P.S. I just saw that you are in Alaska(ice). If you dive in ice water then maybe you should consider the Odin or Cyclon for Poseidon. Write diveinn.com and ask if they have those in stock. If not GRAB that Apeks-you won't be sorry. You'll need a yoke adaptor for it, though. Get the DIN and the adaptor.

Most would consider the DS4(no swivel) first stage perferable to the DST. I have an Apeks TX50 with the DST and it's great. But, for most hard core divers the non-swivel first stage is preferable-and it's DIR okey dokied!

Sorry about the mix up.

Mike

I know someone that had the dacor viper and they didn't like it. They said that while breathing they would often get a popping sound through the reg. It's just what they said I personally have never dove one.

NJDiver_34

The exhaust valve is to exposed on the viper. Large grains of sand can get stuck under the flapper and you breath in water.
Had it happen to me in cancun. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth
about these regs. Now have two sets of apeks (tx50 & tx200).
Never leave home with out them.

They free flow constantly, even after tuning way down. I really wish someone would make a good side exhaust regulator. I've got a bunch of Odin's too. I don't dive them anymore either.

Strick,
I just sold my Viper Tec and Viper Octo on Ebay. Among all the other problems people mentioned (although I never had my freeflow) I thought the bubbles coming out of the side of the reg went directly under the corner of my mask and caused leakage. In addition, the low profile of the reg caused it to tug at the side of my mouth. I can't recommend a different one, since I am just starting to look, but I'd look further than the Viper, or at least make sure you dive one in the pool before buying. 5 minutes in a pool would have convinced me to go somewhere else.
dmentia

I have a Viper octo. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It's a tuning nightmare. I can't keep it from leaking.

I just bought a Apeks TX20 to replace it. I'm going to back over the Viper with my truck for vengence.

Our shop sells Dacors and Apeks. I shove people away from the Vipers and in front of the Apeks regs. "Pick any one of these"

Oh, on the Viper, the little plastic mesh cover on the end just gets bent to hell. It breathes wet in certain positions. The early Viper had a design flaw that caused rampant free flows. It has since been redesigned. It's not as bad as it was, but it's still a piece of crap. If you must have a side exhaust, get an Oceanic.

Back
Top Bottom