ScubaPro Exhaust tees and diaphragm covers available.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Exhaust tees and diaphragm covers for ScubaPro 109s/108s and Balanced Adjustables are now available from Bryan at Vintage Double Hose www.vintagedoublehose.com The new covers and tees are molded from silicone rather than natural rubber so the durability and life expectancy is much greater. Many of you remember an attempt to have aftermarket parts molded, but after a few of us tried and failed we ended up doing a group buy from a sympathetic seller. Well, where we failed Bryan has succeeded, so getting these hard to find parts should no longer be an issue.

I've just received and installed 12 sets (not mine) and I have to say they look great. The covers are an exact match of the classic 109 covers and in my opinion more aesthetically pleasing than those currently available from a ScubaPro dealer. I'll attach pictures below so you can judge for yourselves.

The new covers were a little more difficult to install than the part I replaced it with, however when compared to a new old stock part I found the level of difficulty about the same. This is to be expected as time and pressure tend to compress the rubber parts. Old shoes are easier to put on than new ones too.

The exhaust tees are equally impressive. They look great and fit the exhaust flange very well. They install much easier than the ScubaPro universal tees. At first I was concerned they may fall off too easily; however, after pulling and tugging on them, I don't think that will be an issue. I've not test dived any yet, and to be sure I will pass a string through the tees and attach to the hose for the first set of dives-but again, I don't think there will be a problem. As I write this I think the easier to remove and install tees will have the advantage over the hard rubber models in that one can remove them and dry the flange and case after a day of diving to help prevent corrosion.

Kudos to Bryan for his perseverance in getting these parts manufactured and for making them available to us lowly owners of classic diving gear.

Long live the 109!

Couv

Convert your rotten old 109 from this:
IMG_0020_zps77864d49.jpg
[/URL]

to this:
onbody_zps474fb607.jpg
[/URL]

In the above photo the new silicone cover and tee is on the left, the older SP models in the middle, and the new style SP on the right.

Inside view:
inside_zps5b74d499.jpg

Tee on 108

VDHteeon108_zpsb55bb79e.jpg

Last edited:
Is it REALLY necessary to 'tighten exhaust T with inner tube' ? I'll admit that's not exactly the sort of thing I wanted to hear, doable of a kludge on an otherwise nice upgrade.

Is it REALLY necessary to 'tighten exhaust T with inner tube' ? I'll admit that's not exactly the sort of thing I wanted to hear, doable of a kludge on an otherwise nice upgrade.

One of the nice things about the modern Scubapro exhaust tee is, while it takes boiling water and a few special words to get it on, it is not going to come off accidentally. (It was a bitch getting one off to change to the VDH tee.) The VDH tee is a much easier on and off. I initially dove without the added inner tube and had no problem. But, I suspect that if you catch that tee on something (more likely in a dive bag than UW) it may get pulled off. I chose to reduce the risk with a simple piece of inner-tube. I am told the material will continue to off-gas and harden a bit over time. I just opted for a little extra security.

Kludge is my middle name. Remember, I'm the guy who added a couple brass washers between a Scubapro universal din retainer and a Mk5 so I could have din Mk5s. If the foo ****s, wear it

One of the nice things about the modern Scubapro exhaust tee is, while it takes boiling water and a few special words to get it on, it is not going to come off accidentally. (It was a bitch getting one off to change to the VDH tee.) The VDH tee is a much easier on and off. I initially dove without the added inner tube and had no problem. But, I suspect that if you catch that tee on something (more likely in a dive bag than UW) it may get pulled off. I chose to reduce the risk with a simple piece of inner-tube. I am told the material will continue to off-gas and harden a bit over time. I just opted for a little extra security.

Kludge is my middle name. Remember, I'm the guy who added a couple brass washers between a Scubapro universal din retainer and a Mk5 so I could have din Mk5s. If the foo ****s, wear it

Thanks for the additional details! So the inner tube is just being used as a 'spacer' to take up space between the T and the 'case' exhaust outlet ? Good to hear the silicone T will harden a bit with time as well.

Awap mentioned he did dive them without any problems-so probably not an issue. However, what I do know is that even if they need a small piece of inner tube, they are a better option than the hard rubber tees. I say this because almost every older 109 I’ve seen has corrosion in that area. Removing the tee after a dive trip would really be beneficial in preventing that.

Thanks Couv.

Awap mentioned he did dive them without any problems-so probably not an issue. However, what I do know is that even if they need a small piece of inner tube, they are a better option than the hard rubber tees. I say this because almost every older 109 I’ve seen has corrosion in that area. Removing the tee after a dive trip would really be beneficial in preventing that.

I had a little brainstorm tonight, Scubapro sells those reusable mouthpiece zip ties, if, while being used to attach the mouthpiece, one takes care to position the zip tie 'thick side' downward, they might provide a stabilizing tab/catch to keep the new silicone T's from rotating or popping off. If I get my newly serviced 109's back by Saturday I may time this weekend to see if that might work.

Over the past two weekends I've had the opportunity to test dive my new VDH exhaust Tee. I made a couple of trips to the scuba parks in my area and gave the tee every opportunity to escape. Attached to my favorite Balanced Adjustable in and out of my duffel bag it went several time. Then it spent few hours in the water jostling around performing its duty. Next, it spent time hanging from a D ring unprotected by my most enviable square jaw. The Tee passed all test with no assistance of a rubber band or other device keeping it secure. However, I did have a string looped through it should it decided to free itself in the murky waters.

When I first received the Tee, I was concerned because it installed and removed with such ease. In typical SP fashion what was a design concern can now be viewed as a feature.

I do believe it’s time to cut the cord.

vdhtee_zps139b0752.jpg

vdhteeremoved_zps9734bb4b.jpg

BTW here is a decent picture of a diaphragm cover.

file.php

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom