Apeks XTX 20 and 50 2nd Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kissdom

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I am very confused now with Apeks 2nd stages.. are the XTX 20 and XTX 50 2nd stage identical on the inside except for the adjustable knob? And can the XTX 20 be upgraded to the XTX 50 by just adding the adjustable knob setup?

Need some enlightenment :D

Yes you are correct, in addition to the adjustment knob the other difference is a metal heat exchanger. If you are going to dive in colder waters <10 then the 40 or 50 would be a better option due to heat exchanger. The 40 is identical, save cosmetic diffs and adjustment knob, to the 50, 100 and 200. There is a guy on eBay selling his own adjustment knobs at a cheaper price but they do not have the micro adjuster as per original factory part. I converted some ATX40 to ATX50 using factory parts and it was expensive. If you think you want the adjustment and heat exchanger you'd likely be better off buying the 50 off the bat.

buddhasummer, regarding the Heat Exchanger, are you refering to part #8 on Atemregler Apeks 2. Stufe XTX20 / XTX40 Zeichnung | Online Shop | W+S Water Safety Europe GmbH | Seit 1999 ?

Yes you are correct, in addition to the adjustment knob the other difference is a metal heat exchanger. If you are going to dive in colder waters <10 then the 40 or 50 would be a better option due to heat exchanger. The 40 is identical, save cosmetic diffs and adjustment knob, to the 50, 100 and 200. There is a guy on eBay selling his own adjustment knobs at a cheaper price but they do not have the micro adjuster as per original factory part. I converted some ATX40 to ATX50 using factory parts and it was expensive. If you think you want the adjustment and heat exchanger you'd likely be better off buying the 50 off the bat.

Yes.
Part #8.
Its a plastic sleeve on a 20 and a metal ribbed sleeve on a 40, 50, 100 and 200.

The bloke in the UK selling his own knobs makes a good product......better than the original as the micro adjuster is worse than useless in the Apeks original.

Oh yeah, I just ordered a micro adjuster from him, I have not gotten it yet. wow, good to know its such a good piece of equipment!! thank you!!

Yes.
Part #8.
Its a plastic sleeve on a 20 and a metal ribbed sleeve on a 40, 50, 100 and 200.

The bloke in the UK selling his own knobs makes a good product......better than the original as the micro adjuster is worse than useless in the Apeks original.

They will probably come without the o ring.......just use the one on the plastic plug that you take out.
......be careful not to lose the roll pin that prevents the plug/knob from unscrewing all the way out.
Part #22

Thank you for the advise!!

They will probably come without the o ring.......just use the one on the plastic plug that you take out.
......be careful not to lose the roll pin that prevents the plug/knob from unscrewing all the way out.
Part #22

---------- Post added July 8th, 2014 at 07:04 PM ----------

---------- Post added July 8th, 2014 at 07:05 PM ----------

About the Heat Exchanger component AP5002, does anyone have an estimate of how much a LDS would charge to have those installed?

Last edited:
It's very easy to do takes about 2 minutes. I'd do it for free but then again I'm not a shop. Wouldn't imagine more than a few dollars if anything at all guess it depends on whether you have a (nice) relationship with them or not. You couldn't do it yourself? If you can change a hose you can do this. Fitting the adjustment knob us more complex. If you do it yourself just be careful not to over tighten exchanger as you can crack the case. You'll need two 11/16 spanners or adjustable spanner. When you re fit hose use one spanner to prevent hear exchanger from moving and tighten hose against it using other spanner. Torque setting, off the top of my head, on pre 2013 XTX metal heat exchanger is 25nm and newer is 45nm I believe. Doesn't really matter if use torque wrench or not just don't crank on it.

Last edited:
sounds manageable!! however, I am not too sure know to get my hands on the Heat Exchanger part, the link I provided above is from a shop in the UK (I am based in US). Was hoping a LDS gets that part and upgrade the 2nd stage at the same time. Speaking of which, anyone knows where I could get the AP5002 part (in the US)? I would prefer to DIY it myself and learn more about the equipment im using.

<br><br>
It's very easy to do takes about 2 minutes. I'd do it for free but then again I'm not a shop. Wouldn't imagine more than a few dollars if anything at all guess it depends on whether you have a (nice) relationship with them or not. You couldn't do it yourself? If you can change a hose you can do this. Fitting the adjustment knob us more complex. If you do it yourself just be careful not to over tighten exchanger as you can crack the case. You'll need two 11/16 spanners. When you re fit hose use one spanner to prevent hear exchanger from moving and tighten hose against it using other spanner. Torque setting, off the top of my head, on pre 2013 XTX metal heat exchanger is 25nm and newer is 45nm I believe. Doesn't really matter if use torque wrench or not just don't crank on it.
<br>
<br>

Any Aqualung or Apeks dealer should be able to order for you. If you have no joy PM me.

---------- Post added July 8th, 2014 at 11:32 PM ----------

As the adjustment knob you bought is not a factory part you may get into difficulty finding an "authorized" shop to fit it. It's not a difficult job. There is a video on YouTube how to do it and I think it's on his eBay page also. If you can't find it let me know and I'll dig up a link for you. Or alternatively one of us can walk you through it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom