Spare Air equipment questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachguitars

Reaction score
I'm new to diving and treated myself to a Spare Air 3.0 unit for a little extra piece of mind. I've carefully read the directions and I understand that the filler adapter gets placed in between your first stage regulator and the hose for your gauge console and stays there as a one time installation. It has a plug with two rubber o rings that seal the opening when you are not re-filling and this plug is held in with a very light weight clip and a lanyard. I'm a little uncomfortable with the thought of having a small lightweight pin keeping the plug in place since the high pressure line could dump alot of air very quickly if the plug were to come out. I may be overly paranoid but I'd appreciate any feedback from more experience divers or those familiar with the Spare Air refill adapter. Perhaps there's never been a leakage problem but I wanted to ask. Thanks for reading, please let me know if you have any pertinant info. Regards, Dave

First of all, I've never heard of this fitting failing - and the Spare Air's been around at least a decade.
Secondly, the HP port on your regulator is fed through a bleed orifice in the first stage, not a great big hole. Notice how when you turn on the air the hose takes a second to build to full pressure? Bottom line is that a failure in the HP hose, while impressive, will give you plenty of time to get to the surface, especially if you dive using the "500 psi back on board" rule for your diving. And if you have your Spare Air with you it's no problem anyway, right?
Rick

........of spare air in general, your concern would not worry me. Any failure of a HP port will deplete a tank VERY slowly. The oriface in the HP port is extremely tiny. A LP port failure or a blown o-ring will dump a tank much faster. If you have a LP hose go, get to the surface ASAP, a HP failure gives you much more time.

Walter

I need some info guys. Need to know how to fill up the SSI SPARE AIR 3000 PSI tank. i was just given one by a friend who was cleaning out his scuba locker and said he didin't want it anymore. he gave me an adapter that connects to another tank, but i'm unsure how to use. does anyone have any instruction on doing this. thank you:confused:

Screw the adapter on the spare air
close the bleed screw
attach to scuba cylinder
open valve a little and let the SA fill

when it has equalized with the tank, it is full
there is a little rod that pops out level to indicate full

What Shape Is The Spare Air Cylinder in, you will be standing next to it when you fill it.

I would give it back and tell him that I didn't want it either.

Or...

I would cut the top off, fill it with dirt and plant flowers in it.
I've also seen bells/wind chimes made from scuba tanks.

Just some thoughts

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I would give it back and tell him that I didn't want it either.

Or...

I would cut the top off, fill it with dirt and plant flowers in it.
I've also seen bells/wind chimes made from scuba tanks.

Just some thoughts

Mike.......you should really be more specific about how you feel about Spare Air. :confused:

agstreet once bubbled...

He did, but the post showed up on rec.scuba for some reason :).

Alan

Alan..........I'm just razzin Mike for the fun of it.

agstreet once bubbled...

He did, but the post showed up on rec.scuba for some reason :).

Alan

rec.scuba!:eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom