AT20 US4 Stage 4 Set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ComputerX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My girlfriend is looking for a new reg set. She has very simple needs; she is a warm water only vacation diver who does ten to twelve dives a year.

She doesn't want anything fancy, and she likes a console.

It seems to me like the AT20 US4 Stage 4 Set at DRIS for $399 is a really good choice, but I don't know how the AT20 differs from the XTX models. I understand the US4 isn't sealed (not a problem,) and only has one HP port (also not an issue.) Is there a difference with the second stage beyond the lack of a heat exchanger?

Is there anything else I should look at for her? She likes plain and simple, but good quality, gear. New only.

Thanks.

Dan

Smaller exhaust T, different cosmetics, breathes the same as XTX range, uses same service kit. For warm water, no problem. It's a good reg. Yes, the AT20, like the XTX 20, lacks the heat exchanger which in warm water poses no issue. No other functional differences. Like the 40 range it also does not have adjustment knob, not needed either. I think it's a good reliable nice breathing set. For the complete set it's a nice price, you're unlikely to find better.

---------- Post added July 13th, 2014 at 11:32 AM ----------

In the interest of transparency, I own Apeks regs.

Couldn't agree more with buddasummer......I'd even say that I prefer the ATX over the XTX as it doesn't have the qd exhaust T and reversible hose option.

My wife just purchased this exact set for warm water diving and she is very happy with it. It's a very simple, easy breathing reg.

I have been using a US4 as deco reg for many yrs. No problem whatsoever but you do have to pay attention on the gradual accumulation of dirt/salt on the spring. So please rinse the 1st stage thoroughly after use.
DS4 would be a better option albeit slightly more expensive.

I have been using a US4 as deco reg for many yrs. No problem whatsoever but you do have to pay attention on the gradual accumulation of dirt/salt on the spring. So please rinse the 1st stage thoroughly after use.
DS4 would be a better option albeit slightly more expensive.

If the reg was getting heavy, regular use I might agree, but being used so infrequently as long as it's soaked/rinsed properly as you suggest it should not cause any problems. I don't think this set is offered with the DS4. I used unsealed regs for years without issue but am rather pedantic about my rinsing/soaking routine.

---------- Post added July 14th, 2014 at 05:41 AM ----------

To the OP, A good rinse followed by a good soak followed by a good rinse will make all the difference. Just rinsing is not enough. Before you submerge the first stage test that it has sealed properly by trying to draw breath from the second stage, if it draws no air you're good to go. Soaking while pressurized is ideal if possible. If not pressurized ensure purge button is not depressed whilst submerged as this will allow water to travel into hose and possibly into the first stage.

Last edited:
Just for info, I just found out Apeks has remade the AT series and has new AT20, ATX40. The cover is thinner, crispier, looks like metal. They are on Apeks website. Also on NESS site.

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

Just for info, I just found out Apeks has remade the AT series and has new AT20, ATX40. The cover is thinner, crispier, looks like metal. They are on Apeks website. Also on NESS site.

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

Its hard to tell from the photos, the ATX40 looks the same but yes, the face plates on the AT20 and octo look different. I'm not sure if the material is different or just a CG image. Interesting. I'll look I to it some more.

---------- Post added July 14th, 2014 at 06:28 AM ----------

Just looked on Apeks site, certainly redesigned face plate on AT and ATX but looks to be plastic. There is no written info. They look nice.

Back
Top Bottom