Atomic Regulators: B2 vs Z3 vs Z2 Decisions... Decisions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfox007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I posted a thread about two years ago, on which Atomic regulator to get. Back then, based on my own research, talking with one of my LDSs, and you wonderful people I decided to go the route of the Z2. Unfortunately I was unable to make the purchase back then due to some family matters, my daughter being born, and some major/minor surgery.

Fast forward to today, and I am ready to make my purchase.

I've been research on a bunch of regs, and reading reviews here on scubaboard, and I have come to the same conclusion as I did before: Atomic Aquatics

So, I went to my LDS today (El Mar), and wanted to see the B2, Z3, and Z2 in person and check out pricing. Here is what I found:

B2 = $719
Z3 = $529 (They don't stock it, but lead time was 2-3 days)
Z2 = $409

I asked the rep why they did not have the Z3, and he said there was no need to have it since it's just a Z2 with comfort swivel. He also felt that if you were paying the price for a Z3, then you might as well go the B2 (nearly a $200 difference). They have ordered the Z3 for those that really wanted it.

His main selling point on the B2 was the titanium inner works on the 2nd stage, and the comfort swivel on the first stage. The Z2 and Z3 do not have the comfort swivel on the first stage, but if you have 7LPs do you need the comfort swivel?

I was mentally set on the Z3, but he said that if I really wanted the Z3, to just get a Z2 and a miflex hose (or Jump to the B2).

He also stated that after servicing a B2 the titanium looks like new. After servicing the Z2/Z3 the zirconium brass doesn't look AS GOOD.

Would you bite the bullet and go B2? Would you go Z2, upgrade the hose to a miflex and call it a day for $450ish? or... Would you spend roughly $100 more and get the slightly revamped Z3?

Thanks!!

-Mike

I'd look for a Z2x if you just had to have a 5-LP port swivel turret 1st stage. What are you doing for an Octo? If you got the Z2 the savings over the B2 would be enough to buy a B2 2nd stage Octo with comfort swivel hose on it...

I was just going to get a Z2 octo, but I was also looking at the SS1. Since I'm leaning towards the Axiom I3 for a BCD, I will most likely go with a Z2 octo.

He also stated that after servicing a B2 the titanium looks like new. After servicing the Z2/Z3 the zirconium brass doesn't look AS GOOD.

The key here is that it just may not "LOOK" as good. 99.99% of the regulators out there are brass, if brass is an issue, most of them should have problem by now. The truth is if you are reasonable good with cleaning your reg, brass is OK. And keep in mind, B2 has brass 1st stage too. If you don't clean your reg, your B2 1st will have issue anyway.

Having that said, it is all about cost. If your budget is on the tight side, I will just get Z2. And I would much prefer Z2 + Z2 octo than B2 + low end octo.

Having that said, it is all about cost. If your budget is on the tight side, I will just get Z2. And I would much prefer Z2 + Z2 octo than B2 + low end octo.

I see what you are saying. For me, cost is irrelevant (I guess). I have always been of the minds set that "The cost is the cost". Whatever the "right" stuff costs, is what it costs. I don't always go for the most expensive, but i don't always go for the cheapest.

Best way for me to explain it is: If something is $100, and there is a "better" version for $200, if you can show me what that extra $100 gets me (and I agree) I'll spend the $200.

So If I was ABSOLULTELY sold that I need a T3 reg, and I agreed. I'd go spend $1,600 tomorrow.

He's right about the Z3. It really just is a Z2 with a swivel.

Going to dive a lot at Pleasant? or Saguaro? I might pop for the Z2 with the seal kit - I think they're $449. A lot of the cloudiness suspended in the water there is Colorado River silt.

Before I bought my T2 I owned a B1 (bought at El Mar) I never had a problem with hose routing since one of the ports was perfect with the standard hose.

I do admit to liking the 2nd stage swivel though - except that I forget it's there. More than once I just about dropped the reg. out of my mouth while focusing on something else - often filming.

I put a Z1 octo on my B1. Spent a lot of money on something that matched that to this day I have never used except to try it every year to see that it still works. And paid to have serviced. I might look for a $150 Oceanic or something else El Mar sells also so you can have both serviced together. Since Aeris is being absorbed into Oceanic maybe there's some good deals on Aeris Octo's now...I just can't see spending almost $300 on the Z2 Octo. Although obviously I did once.

btw, you can't go wrong with David Hayes - he's about the best reg tech in town. Just wish I lived closer. (I'm in west Glendale)

Don't get the I3. That's an accident waiting to happen. Catch the lever on something in a confined space and you can be in the silt b4 you know it. Plus with the linkages and the flat valves if it fails somewhere there better be an Aqualung dealer nearby. Locally that's a non issue - places in the Caribbean it's a different story.

I would have a slight concern with someone dropping their tank on my I3 lever on a crowded boat also. More than once I've had to jump up to keep someone from dropping onto my 2nd stage. (my fault)

A standard BC inflator hose can be purchased most anywhere. If not cannibalize a rental for the week.

Do you really want to have to explain to every insta-buddy how the I3 works? And how to manually inflate your BC if it fails.

Steve,

Thanks for the info!

David was the person who helped me. Seemed like a good guy.

I was looking closer at the BCD, and I think I will go with the regular Axiom w/o the i3. My logic... I may not always travel with my BCD, and since most every other BCD does not have the i3 system, the chances of me renting one with were slim.

Your an AZ guy, so you know our choices (locally) are slim. Pleasant is the only place I have been to in AZ so far. However I do hope I get the chance to head down to San Carlos or out to SD for some diving as often as I can.

I think the Z2 with seal kit isn't a bad choice. I guess the question now is: Is the comfort swivel of the Z3 worth $120 ($569 for the Z3 w/ seal kit)? OR Just get a miflex hose on the Z2?

It seems all depend on your personal preference. In terms of breathing, they are all the same. Personally, I have grown to NOT like the 2nd stage comfort swivel. I have 3 B2 2nd stages, all with swivel removed. 1st stage turrent is more useful for double tank. For single, the position is more or less fixed by LPI already. If I intent to use the reg for single tank only, I will not pay extra for 1st stage turrent myself. Having that said, all my Atomic first stages have turrect at this point. I'd like to say that is because I bought used with a good deal.

I would say that if budget aside (if this is the case) if you already know what you want in your heart, even if it cost a little more, go for it. It will be even more expansive if after you buy A, and you keep telling yourself you should have got B, then sell A and buy B again.

The z series with a first stage swivel is the way to go IMHO. Though we have the comfort swivels on our second stages they are of limit use. Good rinsing will make the need for b2 titanium inlet tube unnecessary. The z2 look just as good as the b2.

shmaless plug I have t1 second stage for sale that makes for perfect octo. And is what many use I.e. A reg from the 1 series for an octo.

Each reg on your list would be a good addition to your kit. I use a B2 with the SS1 and like the setup.

The b2 is more money...a cadillac costs more than a camry and both cars will get you to work.

Buy what is in your budget and get what you want. I did a quick check on pricing and they seem to be giving you a fair deal...FWIW.

Whichever way you go it'll be nice to have your own reg. I was so proud when I got my own and no longer had to rent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom