Need help identifying and questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolfgangmob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone, since now I'm almost done with my OW I'm looking into gear. Now since I'm in college price is important and one thing that would certainly keep my prices down is a used regulator however it's not one I'm buying online or from a local guy it's my dad's old Sherwood regulator from the late 80's that has been stored for the last 10 years or so. I did take it buy a shop where the owner took a look at it and said it was okay but could use a servicing. I do know I need to get something for depth but if this reg is useable I could use that money to get a computer to hand that.

Now here is what I am wondering, first of all what are the second stages? Also which is supposed to be the main and which is the octo since both hoses are black? If possible to tell, which may be a long shot or require more picture, what is the first stage? Piston or diaphragm, balanced or unbalance, and sealed or non-sealed? Also if it is properly serviced would it be advisable to use this over buying a new reg set for freshwater at temps of 50F and up diving at depths of 60ft or so?

Full Set:

Second Stages:

First Stage:

SPG:

If anyone needs better pics to tell what something is please let me know since I'm not sure what to look for on these.

Last edited:
I compared with GIS and some old threads on the board and I think it is a sherwood oasis. The blue one is the primary and the orange the octo. I would ask on the DIY forum about servicing.

blue is primary based on short hose with orange on the longer hose. These would ideally be swapped.

First stage-Technically not sealed, but that black rubber bit on the bottom leaks a steady stream of HP tiny bubbles to keep the regulator clear when it's pressurized. It is a piston, and I don't believe it is balanced.

They can be serviced, but I don't believe you can easily buy a parts kit for it. will send a pm in a minute

Its a "Sherwood" Blizzard circa 1990's img470.jpg

john

Nice reg for cold water. Properly tuned it will breathe as good as just about any new one. Parts are readily available and any Sherwood dealer can get them. In truth the parts have not changed much over the last 30 years for those regs. I use one of the orange seconds as an octo on my back up to my back up set. The little pin in the face is used to keep the purge button depressed when stored to take pressure off of the seat. Check the hoses, make sure the dry bleed works, check the IP, if needed have it serviced and dive that sucker for another 30 years. No need to buy a new reg for a long time as long as you are doing recreational diving.

good call, I knew the firsts still had parts, wasn't sure if the seconds could still be had, glad they are still around.

Nice reg for cold water. Properly tuned it will breathe as good as just about any new one. Parts are readily available and any Sherwood dealer can get them. In truth the parts have not changed much over the last 30 years for those regs. I use one of the orange seconds as an octo on my back up to my back up set. The little pin in the face is used to keep the purge button depressed when stored to take pressure off of the seat. Check the hoses, make sure the dry bleed works, check the IP, if needed have it serviced and dive that sucker for another 30 years. No need to buy a new reg for a long time as long as you are doing recreational diving.

I still have a Sherwood Blizzard, circa 1995, in my gear locker. It was my first new reg, after having bought a used Brut from my LDS.

They are basically bullet-proof. A balanced reg, although not quite as easy a breather at depth as a scubapro or an abyss from that era.

The only way to know for sure if it is a Blizzard is to get a good look at that face plate, because you can't really tell from the colour. Also, inside the 2nd stage the Blizzard has heat retention vanes that collect warmth from your breath, keeping the 2nd stage from freezing up. This feature also returns the moisture from your breath, meaning that you don't get as dry as with most other regs.

Since it has a dry bleed system, the 1st stage is essentially environmentally sealed. It can handle cold water without any additional customization (like a cold water kit). The coldest I had my Blizzard in was water temp of 34F (air temp 30F) with no free flow issues. Coincidentally, that was my IE in 1994. :cool2:

I still have a Sherwood Blizzard, circa 1995, in my gear locker. It was my first new reg, after having bought a used Brut from my LDS.

They are basically bullet-proof. A balanced reg, although not quite as easy a breather at depth as a scubapro or an abyss from that era.

The only way to know for sure if it is a Blizzard is to get a good look at that face plate, because you can't really tell from the colour. Also, inside the 2nd stage the Blizzard has heat retention vanes that collect warmth from your breath, keeping the 2nd stage from freezing up. This feature also returns the moisture from your breath, meaning that you don't get as dry as with most other regs.

Since it has a dry bleed system, the 1st stage is essentially environmentally sealed. It can handle cold water without any additional customization (like a cold water kit). The coldest I had my Blizzard in was water temp of 34F (air temp 30F) with no free flow issues. Coincidentally, that was my IE in 1994. :cool2:

By chance are these the heat retention vanes inside the mouthpiece extension?

Could be #7 here - not your reg (newer model Blizzard) but the only diagram I could find. The schematic calls it the Exhaust Heat Sink. I don't know if it's the part SubMariner mentioned above but I suspect it is:

Capture.jpg

Could be #7 here - not your reg (newer model Blizzard) but the only diagram I could find. The schematic calls it the Exhaust Heat Sink. I don't know if it's the part SubMariner mentioned above but I suspect it is:

View attachment 189435

There is no part similar to #7 at all in my reg, the vanes in my reg are definitely similar to #10 and attach in a similar fashion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom