Problem about mk25+s600 need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I am new here and new to diving recreation. I have question about regulator would like to ask many experienced people here. I rent mk25 and s600 for my open water exam last weekend. I found that it was harder to breath with SP than AL Titan provided by instructor. Then I let my friend used it on second day and he had same result. We felt tired using this set. I tried adjusting the knob at 2nd stage but it didn't help much. I also noticed that Scubapro (that I rent) works best at normal diving position (horizontal) but whenever I stand up vertically or look above to the water surface, it was very very hard to breath. On the other hand, I used AL Titan on second day and it was very easy to breath in all positions (with much more air came into my mouth). I initially plan to buy A700+mk25 but this result made me reluctant and have a look at AL. (particularly Legend LX ACD) which is also available in my country, Thailand. (Here Scubapro and AL have good reputation for servicing and warranty so I prefer these 2 brands.) I physically inspected that s600+mk25 and they look like new (no any scratch) so I assume they are very new or barely used so that they should work properly as manufacturer's spec.

I would like to hear your experience about S600 or A700 whether you have same experience as mine especially for ease of breath in all positions. And how does A700+mk25 compare with Legend Lx ACD in term of ease of breath, air flow, etc.?

Thank you in advance for all comments,

You can't really judge a pair of regs like that unless you know their history. Maybe one set needs servicing whereas the other just got serviced. Both the regs you mentioned are good, try looking in to support in the area you'll be living in to see what possibilities there are for getting parts and expertise on both sets.

The difference in your experience with the two regulators had to do with how they were adjusted, not the inherent quality of each regulator. Particularly with the position sensitivity, all regulators are subject to the same laws of physics, and these two regs are very similar in design with regards to position.

Either will work extremely well; the titan is a great value and a perennial best-buy.

I use Mk25 regs and they can be adjusted so light that they flow if you think about breathing. I think the rentals you had were just adjusted too tight.

thanks for inputs, I think I will try again from other shop. It might be about the adjustment as said.

Agree with what others have said. Both regs are exactly comparable in performance (as far as the diver is able to notice), but you can adjust each one to breath like crap.
Likewise, each can be adjusted to breath effortlessly.

Someone got too enthusiastic on the work bench with the Scuba Pro.
I personally prefer the SP Mk17 though. Smaller size and I personally don't like swivel turrets.
If you have to choose between the Mk17 & Titan, they're for all intents and purposes the same reg unless you're the repair tech.

Hello,

I am new here and new to diving recreation. I have question about regulator would like to ask many experienced people here. I rent mk25 and s600 for my open water exam last weekend. I found that it was harder to breath with SP than AL Titan provided by instructor. Then I let my friend used it on second day and he had same result. We felt tired using this set. I tried adjusting the knob at 2nd stage but it didn't help much. I also noticed that Scubapro (that I rent) works best at normal diving position (horizontal) but whenever I stand up vertically or look above to the water surface, it was very very hard to breath. On the other hand, I used AL Titan on second day and it was very easy to breath in all positions (with much more air came into my mouth). I initially plan to buy A700+mk25 but this result made me reluctant and have a look at AL. (particularly Legend LX ACD) which is also available in my country, Thailand. (Here Scubapro and AL have good reputation for servicing and warranty so I prefer these 2 brands.) I physically inspected that s600+mk25 and they look like new (no any scratch) so I assume they are very new or barely used so that they should work properly as manufacturer's spec.

I would like to hear your experience about S600 or A700 whether you have same experience as mine especially for ease of breath in all positions. And how does A700+mk25 compare with Legend Lx ACD in term of ease of breath, air flow, etc.?

Thank you in advance for all comments,

Bom, you mentioned that the MK25 -S600 looks like new.

Probably it has not adjusted after it came out of the box.

I'm always amazed how lousy the regulators are adjusted which come from the factory.

Anyway which brand, the IP on the 1st stage is adjusted always pretty low, and the cracking effort in the 2nd stage is almost always on the harder breathing end of the spectrum.

Two weeks ago I received two brand new MK25 - G260 sets for some customers.

The IP was adjusted at 134 and 135 PSI, the G260 at 1,4 and 1,9!inch/h2o (it should not be higher than 1,5 inch/h2o) cracking pressure.

I had the same (similar) thing with brand new Aqualung Legends, Titans and others.

Concerning the SP regs I guess the very conservative adjustment is done to make chances of full free flow smaller, because most of the SP regulators have an extremely sensitive and powerful Venturi Assist.

This means that with a Venturi on maximum the Venturi kicks in very early and fast, so one hardly can realize the higher cracking effort.

Did you dive on maximum Venturi?

Even if,with a cracking effort of 1,9inch/h2o, as I found the brand new G260 you probably could feel the pretty high resistance.

Probably everybody getting a brand new regulator should get it tested and adjusted by a technician of the dive shop, if they don't do it automatically as I do, to get results which are appropriate to the price they pay for an high end regulator.

Anyway, both regulator you mentioned are excellent regulators, with a good treatment you probably would not need ever another one in recreational diving.

Check that somebody adjust the S600 and you will see,it is breathing at least as good as the Titan or Legend.

Good luck:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom