Two brand new HOG 2nd stage with missing parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arturojgt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Yesterday I was cleaning my two hog 2nd stage removing sand that was trapped inside of it after diving in a shallow river.

When i removed the diaphragm (I read the saavy manual very carefully two time by now) I realize that the deflector plate from both regulators are missing. I attach a diagram from the hog page for this 2nd stage, you will see in this diagram that this deflector plate must come with this regulator.

This is the first time that I remove the cover.

With those missing deflector plates from the standar 2nd stage and the din cap from one of the D1 cold 1st stage are 3 the missing parts from from factory.

Do you know any other case like mine?

Best regards, Arthur "bad luck Bryan"from Argentina.

qy7e2usa.jpg

4ebanamu.jpg

Those are next generation cases. The cases were redesigned to make the plate unnecessary. There is nothing wrong with them. As for the din cap what did your dealer say? They don't come from the factory missing the din cap. Your dealer should have checked it before sending.

Hi Jim.
The hog regulators are great and works fine, I have not planes for replace this regulator in a near future.

In the photo you can see the attachment points for the deflector plate, if this case was design with no deflector plate why this attachments point are still in the new design?.

Those deflector are used to "deflect the air stream near directly to the mouth of he diver and also help to control the Venturi effect occasioned by this air stream".

I think that hog may be suppress these part for a reason, may be your "simple like that" reason is an alternative explanation but no engineer will leave some attachment points partially interfering with a desire and intended laminar flow directed to the mouth.

May be a modern and more expensive 2nd stage model of this brand came with those deflectors, but they include this plates in the original diagram of this particular 2nd stage model and those deflector are not present in my regulators.

I attach a screen capture from a youtube video showing the Hog D1..and if you look carefully you will see that missing part.
Hog D1.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nkaIeUGE5M

Any one who think different from Jim and I?

I'm apologize for my English but is not my first language.

Last edited:
You also need to compare the exhaust diaphragms. That second in the video is a first generation second stage. You can tell by the square grid. You can email HOG directly if you like. But just because the points are still there does not mean they are necessary. I mistakenly believed the plate was left out when the change was first made.

I was subsequently informed that they were not. The changes made to the second generation cases did not require the tabs to be removed and also did not require the deflector plate to be added. To be frank I just looked at my two brand new Zenith's that I got a few weeks ago. They are actually the third generation case and the tabs where you could insert a plate have been changed but they are still there.

So you have a second or third generation case. It was never an issue and not a cause for concern. It also had no effect on the performance from what I could tell. I have a dozen HOG seconds personally (1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen cases) and I can't tell the difference between them. Other than the older ones are more scratched up.

Have you voiced your concerns to your dealer? What did he say about it?

---------- Post added July 31st, 2014 at 04:44 PM ----------

Sorry for the multiple edits. Just got home from work and trying to do several things at once. Needed to look at them instead of just a quick glance.

Jim

I must apologize and you have completely right

They remove the defector plate in the second generation.

This is the copy of first part of the email sent by HOG

Jack Schmidt
Thank you for your concern, the deflector plate you are referencing was removed from the current design over 2 years ago as is was no longer necessary and actually decreased performance. This was a rolling change and the schematic you are referencing is of the previous model and has not been updated.

SIMPLE LIKE THAT

The OP got an answer from HOG in one day. Good customer service.

I SIMPLY LIKE THAT.

Did they actually re-design the entire case (aside from the exhaust grid), or did they just figure out that it worked better (or as well) without the vane?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom