Old Atomics regulators, worth messing with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dannybot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Somebody at work is getting out of diving. He says he in no longer able to clear his ears and got a significant squeeze injury last time he dove.

He offered two sets of Atomics titanium reg sets to me. They are at least ten years old, probably older. They have not been serviced in a long time either. Anybody with knowledge or experience with older Atomics gear have an opinion as to whether it would be worth perusing?

thanks.

Danny

I'll give you a few hundred bucks for them. I have kits....

He offered two sets of Atomics titanium reg sets to me. They are at least ten years old, probably older. They have not been serviced in a long time either. Anybody with knowledge or experience with older Atomics gear have an opinion as to whether it would be worth perusing?

I have rebuilt several of the original Atomic Ti regs. They can easily be serviced as the basics have not changed and all parts are available. The first stage rebuild would include a new piston (monel), service kit, and probably a couple rubber parts. The second stages have had a few upgrades but nothing major. Again a service kit with a balance chamber is needed. You will probably want to replaced the purge cover, exhaust, and few other bits that come with the color kit. The LP hose is probably ready for replacement. When I have done such rebuilds at the end of the day it costs me about $200 in kits and parts. That does not cover my time for striping them down, ultrasonic cleaning, rebuilding, bench testing, etc.. You can send the regs to Atomic and they will rebuild them to T2x for about $400+ depending exactly on which version you have.

Agree with the others that Atomics are great regs and very serviceable.

Alternatively,
... He says he is no longer able to clear his ears and got a significant squeeze injury last time he dove. …
you could do him a favor and connect him with a patient instructor to see if he can learn techniques so he can reliably equalize.
Or start by pointing him to this often-cited video: The Divers Ear - under pressure - YouTube

Last edited:
Agree with the others that Atomics are great regs and very serviceable.

Alternatively,

you could do him a favor and connect him with a patient instructor to see if he can learn techniques so he can reliably equalize.
Or start by pointing him to this often-cited video: The Divers Ear - under pressure - YouTube

I gather from taliking to him that scuba was just a sidebar to his travels. He is a 'normal' person who would play golf and tennis in Cozumel rather than dive... I don't understand, but he says he enjoys traveling even when he doesn't dive.

I'll take them if you don't want them. I just had a B1 serviced that's about 15 years old. It also had not been serviced in about 10 years. It involved new rebuild kits for each stage, a new piston in the first stage ($75), I had a new LP hose put on with the swivel (~$90), and a new color kit (~$40). The tech who worked on it said it's now a B2 since it got those upgrades. IMO it would definitely be worthwhile to have them overhauled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom