Returning to the sport, soliciting suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vigga

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All -
Former instructor - moved away from the sport about a decade ago - a few random dives here and there. Recently having the itch to get back into things. Looking for some reg advice.

Currently own a Mares Abyss 22 Titanium. I've always dove Mares regs - this was the last one I owned.
If I had to guess, circla 2000? Reg is well maintained - but is undoubtedly long in the tooth.

I'm brand loyal and have always had great history Mares stuff, so heading that direction is a logical choice- I'd be more than happy just investing in a new Abyss - but figured I'd throw the question out there:
This thing worth servicing and keeping in use or have enough strides been made in the last ~15 years that investing the $$ is silly (competent service in NYC is very very pricey). i'm less concerned with the cost than doing something that makes sense.
v

I suspect the biggest difference you will notice between your current reg and that new abyss will be the scratches. I'd get the "old" one checked out and serviced if necessary.

I would also just dive your old BCD until you are sure.

The old BCD is, unfortunately, beyond saving :(

awap is, as usual, 100% correct.

I'm a Mares fan, and currently own a couple Mares MR-22 / Abyss regs that are only slightly newer than yours. There have been no improvements in the Mares line (or any other brand) that justify buying new regulators, unless you just want something "new". Your "old" regulator, when properly tuned, will breath as well (or better) than most anything currently out there, and will continue to do so for many years to come.

When you have it serviced, the new Tri-Material high pressure seat (poppet) will be installed (in the 1st stage). This is an improvement over the older seats; it has a better compound in the seating surface so that it will last much longer... the original seats had problems with the compound that was used, and wore out too quickly.

Have fun!

This thing worth servicing and keeping in use or have enough strides been made in the last ~15 years that investing the $$ is silly (competent service in NYC is very very pricey). i'm less concerned with the cost than doing something that makes sense.
v

Basically no strides have been made other than gimmicks, marketing crap, and lowering manufacturing costs. If anything, your regulator is too new for my tastes!:wink:

If you're serious about diving again and think you might be back for the long haul, forget the 'pricey service' and learn to do it yourself; it's surprisingly easy for someone with a basic mechanical aptitude. If that's not you, then you might need the pricey service, but only once for the next several years.

If you're serious about diving again and think you might be back for the long haul, forget the 'pricey service' and learn to do it yourself; it's surprisingly easy for someone with a basic mechanical aptitude. If that's not you, then you might need the pricey service, but only once for the next several years.

Have thought about this in the past and definitely something I'll revisit when we are out of New York City and I have a proper work area. In the meantime I'll have to suck it up and, like most things in New York, overpay :)

Proper work area? I do mine at the kitchen table! My work bench is used for items that contain petroleum products so the kitchen table ensures I will not contaminate my regs, plus I'm closer to the fridge and those frosty cold beverages.

Proper work area? I do mine at the kitchen table! My work bench is used for items that contain petroleum products so the kitchen table ensures I will not contaminate my regs, plus I'm closer to the fridge and those frosty cold beverages.

Your wife is clearly cooler than mine :)

Your wife is clearly cooler than mine :)
Ahh, just lay a clean towel down and go for it!
Regs are very clean to work on.

And if you do decide to get it serviced by a shop nothing says you have to find one in NYC, you could mail it somewhere else.

Doesn't Leisure Pro in NYC do services? I thought they are very reasonable, I know they are on gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom