Edge regulator service cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppatin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was curious how much people who own Edge or HOG regulators typically pay to get their regs serviced. The one shop that's within reasonable driving distance of where I live charges $40 per stage plus parts ($30 for the first stage, $20 each for the primary and octo second stage.) That comes out to just under $200, which seems crazy when the cost of those regs is just under $250 on DRIS! Am I being a cheapskate or are this shop's prices a lot higher than is typical?

seems like half of the hog/edge owners self service and the other half just sell them when they need service and buy new ones. not really a bad call, depending on how often you dive. if you aren't in a rush, you could just send them to DRIS which charges 20 bucks per stage + parts.

Retail for the Edge parts kits is about $13 per stage I think (I did a quick online price check at DRIS and Pihrana); so total parts cost should be < $50.

Labor varies by locale and shop, but $20 - $25 per stage seems "typical". So, assuming $75 for labor, I'd expect a grand total of about $120 - $125 for service.

$200 sounds a little high to me, but maybe that is going rate in your area??

I'd shop around.

You might also want to send a PM to Jim Lapenta on this board.

Best wishes.

I was curious how much people who own Edge or HOG regulators typically pay to get their regs serviced. The one shop that's within reasonable driving distance of where I live charges $40 per stage plus parts ($30 for the first stage, $20 each for the primary and octo second stage.) That comes out to just under $200, which seems crazy when the cost of those regs is just under $250 on DRIS! Am I being a cheapskate or are this shop's prices a lot higher than is typical?

You're making an illogical association. The cost of the regulator has nothing to do with the cost of servicing it.

You spent $250 on a regulator and somehow you want the labor and parts for your bargain regulator to be less expensive. Why?

Should a technician charge less per hour or not be compensated for the parts they have to buy to service your regulator just because you shopped a deal?

If I bought a pair of several hundred dollar mens' shoes at a thrift shop for $10 and they needed to be resoled, should I get a discount because I only paid $10 for the shoes in the first place?

If it's not worth it to you to service your gear, sell it on the used market and buy new every year. Otherwise you pay for the service that you don't want to pay for and don't know how to do yourself. The cost of the regulator is completely irrelevant to the technician who would work on your gear.

You're making an illogical association. The cost of the regulator has nothing to do with the cost of servicing it.

You spent $250 on a regulator and somehow you want the labor and parts for your bargain regulator to be less expensive. Why?

Should a technician charge less per hour or not be compensated for the parts they have to buy to service your regulator just because you shopped a deal?

If I bought a pair of several hundred dollar mens' shoes at a thrift shop for $10 and they needed to be resoled, should I get a discount because I only paid $10 for the shoes in the first place?

If it's not worth it to you to service your gear, sell it on the used market and buy new every year. Otherwise you pay for the service that you don't want to pay for and don't know how to do yourself. The cost of the regulator is completely irrelevant to the technician who would work on your gear.

I was curious to know how much other people paid for service. I didn't say the price "should" be anything, I just felt like I got whacked with a price that's a lot higher than the typical going rate.

---------- Post added August 24th, 2014 at 09:58 AM ----------

Retail for the Edge parts kits is about $13 per stage I think (I did a quick online price check at DRIS and Pihrana); so total parts cost should be < $50.

Labor varies by locale and shop, but $20 - $25 per stage seems "typical". So, assuming $75 for labor, I'd expect a grand total of about $120 - $125 for service.

$200 sounds a little high to me, but maybe that is going rate in your area??

I'd shop around.

You might also want to send a PM to Jim Lapenta on this board.

Best wishes.

Thank you for all the information. According to Edge's website the parts kits are $30 for the first stage and $20 for each second stage.

Edit: DRIS sells a first stage service kit for @12.95. I guess I know where I'm sending my regs for overhauls in the future.

A complete rebuild on an Edge or HOG reg 1st stage, 2 seconds, spg service (HP spool really) with parts is normally around 120-130 bucks plus return shipping with me. I don't charge by the stage. My labor rate is by the hour and I do not do unnecessary work.

Depending on how many dives the regs have on them, what condition they are in when I get them, and what they are doing - a full rebuild on all the stages may not be necessary. The octo for example may just need a cleaning and adjust of the orifice. So no parts needed, less time, less cost.

I also do not do any work until I've done an inspection and test and get an ok on the estimate to do them. You get an estimate via email and it must be approved verbally or by email.

---------- Post added August 24th, 2014 at 11:43 AM ----------

Also note that's the kit for EXP for 12.95. Epic 2012 does not use that kit. It uses the same one that the HOG D2 uses.

Unless you have a first generation Epic. The kit for it is 23.00 bucks or so

Jim,

Your "don't fix what isn't broken" philosophy certainly sounds sensible. I'll be in touch the next time I need a regulator serviced.

If it's not worth it to you to service your gear, sell it on the used market and buy new every year.

This is actually good advice except that regulators will generally go longer than a year between service with average use. Look at the sticky on how to check your regulator and dive it until it needs servicing. Hog usually gives good deals on Black Friday so wait and buy new and eBay the old ones. You could also service them yourself if you are so inclined.

This is actually good advice except that regulators will generally go longer than a year between service with average use. Look at the sticky on how to check your regulator and dive it until it needs servicing. Hog usually gives good deals on Black Friday so wait and buy new and eBay the old ones. You could also service them yourself if you are so inclined.

I do find that HOGs require more regular service than other regs I've owned. I still think they perform quite well and, as I've said many times, I support the philosophy. The small price in having to spend a Saturday afternoon once a year taking my regs apart isn't a high cost. In 5 years I've had to service my D1s on average about once a year (+/-300 dives/cycle), but yes I agree with you - don't fix what isn't broken.

I do find that HOGs require more regular service than other regs I've owned. I still think they perform quite well and, as I've said many times, I support the philosophy. The small price in having to spend a Saturday afternoon once a year taking my regs apart isn't a high cost. In 5 years I've had to service my D1s on average about once a year (+/-300 dives/cycle), but yes I agree with you - don't fix what isn't broken.

At 300 dives per year I would expect that you would be considered a heavy user. I suspect (have no evidence to back be up) that the average active diver probably does less than 50 dives a year so they would probably get 2-3 years or more between rebuilds with proper care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom