Regulators for Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm considering a sidemount setup due to back problems. I have a Hog D1 and Classic 2nd Stage reg. Can that type of reg be used for a sidemount, either single or double? Thanks.

Does the first stage have a turret? If so, then it will work great for sidemount. If not, it can be made to work, but isn't ideal IMHO.

max

Hog D1 does have a rotating turret, and so should be good. You're going to need an additional first and second stage if you want to do double sidemount of course. You might find some benefit in changing hose lengths on the regulator. Particularly the HP hose.

they work great. You need some sort of angle adapter, whether that be 90*, 120*, or ball swivel.
Cave Adventurers - Swivel - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
ball,
https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/adapters/swivels.shtml
angles.

With the classic first stages you'll likely have to use a 7' long hose on your right bottle to wrap the hose around your neck and will need at least a 40" hose on the left bottle to head up and around the back of your neck. The right bottle can be done with a short hose and run straight up as well, but without a reversible reg, the left one will have to be run behind your neck. You'll also need some short HP hoses, don't recommend braided hoses here, the added stiffness of rubber helps keep the SPG's in the right spot.

they work great. You need some sort of angle adapter, whether that be 90*, 120*, or ball swivel.
Cave Adventurers - Swivel - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
ball,
https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/adapters/swivels.shtml
angles.

With the classic first stages you'll likely have to use a 7' long hose on your right bottle to wrap the hose around your neck and will need at least a 40" hose on the left bottle to head up and around the back of your neck. The right bottle can be done with a short hose and run straight up as well, but without a reversible reg, the left one will have to be run behind your neck. You'll also need some short HP hoses, don't recommend braided hoses here, the added stiffness of rubber helps keep the SPG's in the right spot.
Good points here. Long hose should be rubber. Short can be flex. Other thing to mention is that the slimline spgs work much better than the big 2 or 2.5 inch ones. I like the Hog black faced 1.5" spgs for sm.

Only thing I disagree with is that the hp hoses need to be rubber. I dive the kevlar double braided hp hoses and like them much more than rubber. 6" hoses there in my book.

should also be noted that single tank sidemount is quite comfortable as well if you don't want to deal with two tanks. AL80's are recommended here for balance purposes since they're essentially neutral. Make sure you do your homework before buying a rig though, and calling CaveAdventurers is your best bet. Edd has some great advice and will make sure you end up in the right rig for you.

Back
Top Bottom