Scubapro Mid 90s Reg Decisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just picked up the following Scubapro items and am looking for some advice. My reasoning for making this purchase was to use these to attempt to learn to service my own regs. Cosmetically all seem to be in decent shape. The original owner said that they have not been used since around 2002.

- Two Mk15 firsts
- Two D400 seconds
- One Mk10 SPEC (original boot with only one small hole)
- One G200b
- Two non-weight integrated BCDs with what I think are third gen AIR2

My question is, what is worth keeping and servicing and what is not?

I'm thinking that keeping the Mk10 SPEC and G200b is a no-brainer, but what about the MK15/D400 sets? While browsing the SB Regulator forum, I noticed comments that the MK15 and D400 are difficult to service/tune. I also attempted to find some Mk15 kits, but could not. (The D400s would be cool to keep... I just like the way they look!)

I already have a Mk10+, G250, and a G200b as a separate reg set which I use occasionally. I also have a R190 octo laying around somewhere.

Thank you in advance for your assistance! (first post, please be gentle)

D-series are a different monster. Probably the best breathing regs they made, but no longer produced, or mirrored in new models. If you are serious as to enjoying them, learn to service them. Caution, you can mess them up if not done correctly, and some parts are hard to come by... Learn from someone how to do it.

If not, find a buyer. There are folks that prefer them. I have a mk15/d350 and like it a bunch.

---------- Post added August 27th, 2014 at 05:02 PM ----------

The g200b is also a good warm water reg. Parts are readily available too.

I have a bunch of MK15 parts, I'd consider taking one of the MK15s from you if you decide to sell, but I have to warn you, I'm cheap...

The MK15/D400 is really a better performing reg than the MK10/G200B, but there's NOTHING wrong with those either. (I can't imagine anyone diving a MK10/G200B and thinking, 'geez I wish my regulator worked better') I find the MK15 very easy to service, but it does require a special skinny set of snap ring pliers and the common sense to not dig out a permanently pressed in plastic bushing. The seat is a unique seat to that model, so parts availability is a little more challenging than for the MK10 or MK25. The D400 is an oddball compared to conventional 2nd stages but once you figure it out, very easy to service (except assembling the predive switch) and terrific at holding a tune. I have several D series (all D300) and I wouldn't part with any of them. I'm happy to answer any questions I can about servicing either the D series or MK15. They're not that complicated.

Hmmm... maybe investing in the the Mk15s isn't such a good idea then. An unique seat that is difficult to find now will be even more difficult to find in the future. Perhaps the Mk10/G250/G200b path is the one to pursue for ease of maintenance and parts availability. The D400s are a challenge that I'm willing to accept since parts seem to be readily available. Anyone have a service manual for them? (Thanks Halocline for your offer to help! If you want one of those Mk15s, PM me an offer.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom