used SP Mk25 regs fair price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Devin Long

Registered
Reaction score
wife and I just recently got certified and am looking into buying my buddies gear. all are 8-10 years old, and need to be serviced. Also would like to know what service cost is and how difficult it would be to get parts to do it myself.

what would be a fair price on the following items:

Mk25 primary, S550 secondary, aqualung ABS octo, Mares triple gauge console with compass, depth, SPG

Mk25 primary, (2) aqualung ABS octos, mares triple gauge console. (he used this one just for back ups)

Mk25 primary, S550 Secondary, Sherwood octo, oceanic triple gauge console with compass, depth, SPG

Mk25 primary, s600 secondary, aqualung ABS octo, 2 gauge console with mares SPG and oceanic depth gauge.

Before I got this offer I was about to pull the trigger on Atomic B2 sealed with SS1 for $680. This is a really good deal compared to other prices I have been seeing online.

Benefits of buying new as I see it are warranty and the B2 has longer service intervals.

Any suggestions on what the used setups are worth, how much they will cost for service, and whether or not I should just buy the new atomic B2 setups will be most appreciated!

Scubapro has an official policy of not selling (or allowing its dealers to sell) parts to end users. You can scrounge up parts/kits (sometimes) at places like E Bay. Beware many of the OEM service kits on E Bay are new-old-stock, meaning the O-rings may be quite aged, so I'd avoid those kits anyway. Vintagedoublehose sells new (but not OEM) service kits/parts for many older SP models, he's assembled his own kits from various sources (using all new parts/O rings) , and I've had those installed on my 'vintage' MK 5 / 109-156 reg sets with complete success. Your regs are likely too new for vintagedoublehose to have parts/kits though, so you'll have to look elsewhere most likely.

Typically a full reg set service runs $ 125-ish, Scubatoys runs pretty good deals on servicing, check their WWW site on pricing, I believe they still service SP (I think they recently stopped selling new SP gear but can still do service.)

There are individuals here on SB that also service regs, I've had great success with having "Couv" here on SB service a bunch of vintage SP regs for me.

Just did service to my 2 sets of (MK25 + S600). it is cost me about $100.
I don't like idea to have simple octo, as I will use it in case of gas sharing (different configuration than PADI recreational) and so like myself.
ScubaPro keeps price for new (MK25 + S600) on $729, second hand may be half, maybe little bit more.
I recently bought S600 in very good condition for $200 (for stage).
BUT, than ScubaPro little bit change model, some shop do good discount on previous model. 1.5 years ago I saw $450 for (MK25 + S600).
SPG new cost about $60 - 70. Depth gauge I don't have on console, use on computer.
Do you receive any warranty for used set ?

There can be a wide range of prices on the used MK25/S600 regs.

I bought a set from another user here in SB and paid 210. My LDS charged me $85 for the service.

Great reg for just under $300.

There was another user on here that sold 3 or 4 sets. Still kick myself for not buying another set. He was selling them for $100 for either first or second stage.

Sounds like I could get a good deal on some regs from him to start with and build on later (new octo etc). The atomic B2 deal is also looking really sweet though... decisions decisions.

MK25'S can have a wide range of prices based on age, Piston upgrades or a MK20-25 upgrade can affect the price, from what you listed the MK25/S600 should be the newest model, check the serial numbers on the 1st and 2nd stage to make sure they match. You can also look at the air barrel on the S600 to see if it is metal or plastic.

I would not assume that the MK25s need to be serviced. Inspected, yes, but those 1st stages can sit around a long time and still work fine. Forget about the 'annual' service with out-of-warranty regulators, unless you're diving almost every day. MK25s can go a good 200 dives or so between rebuilds if they're taken care of correctly, and they don't wear out sitting on the shelf in normal conditions.

I wouldn't buy any of the reg sets you listed, though, but that's personal preference. I would avoid instrument consoles altogether, get a simple SPG and a wrist computer instead. I also would avoid the ABS octos. That leaves basically the S600 and the S550s, which are very similar 2nd stages, both high performing. If you could get a pair of MK25s, the S600, both S550s, at a good deal, I'd consider that, then go hunting for either another used S600 or a G250, and two brass/glass SPGs on 24" hoses, and two simple wrist computers.

People always say you have to add the cost of the service into the cost of used regulators, but don't forget you'll have to service new regs too, just not right away. Eventually the cost of ownership of a regulator is based largely on the total service cost over several years. The easiest way to keep this low is to buy regs that are a proven, durable design, take care of them, and only service when there's some indication that a problem is on the way. This does take some learning and the ability to inspect your regs carefully, but it's hardly rocket science.

I have a friend who is an occasional diver and bought a used MK25 about 7 years ago. About 6 months ago I inspected it and was working PERFECTLY, still clean as a whistle in the ambient chamber and holding IP steady as a rock. These things are built to last. The 2nd stages are, unfortunately, a bit pickier and each new model seems to have more parts, more plastic, and appears to be less durable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom