Xtx200 vs m1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Austin316

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

New diver here. Just doing some homework. I want a reg set that I can keep for many many years. Starting at OW rec and the game plan is going towards the tec side of things. Any reason NOT to get either reg set? I haven't read a current XTX200 vs M1 lately and was wondering if Atomics has changed anything or has become more widely used in the tech community. Thanks again.

I am using M1 first stages for deco bottles with Z2 second stages (Z2 seconds are the same as the M1 seconds sans the graphics and exhaust). While I do not know the Apeks line the best part of the Atomic line is that everything is interchangeable between the regs. And I do mean everything. I like that feature and use it to my advantage when diving recreationally or technically. I think the Apeks first stages have that ability - not sure about the seconds. Otherwise pick which ever you like.

All of the XTX seconds are identical except for decal and the fact that the 40 and 20 do not have the breathing adjustment knob (which can easily be added) and the 20 does not have a heat sink at the hose.

I am using M1 first stages for deco bottles with Z2 second stages (Z2 seconds are the same as the M1 seconds sans the graphics and exhaust).

Is the orifice the same material between the two? I know the M1 uses something other than Ti for that component, but didn't realize the Z2 did too...in fact, the comparison chart on AA's website specifically says the Z2 has a "Titanium seat saving orifice" while the M1 is the only reg to say "stainless."

Also thought the orifice was also monel in the M1 for some reason, but maybe it just said stainless on it....haven't looked at one in a bit.

Is the orifice the same material between the two? I know the M1 uses something other than Ti for that component, but didn't realize the Z2 did too...in fact, the comparison chart on AA's website specifically says the Z2 has a "Titanium seat saving orifice" while the M1 is the only reg to say "stainless."

Yer correct, I have never noticed that difference the orifice on the Z* is Ti whereas on the M* is stainless. In the big scheme of things it probably make no difference even when running 100% O2 at IP pressures. But you know AA they do like to hedge their bets.

Yer correct, I have never noticed that difference the orifice on the Z* is Ti whereas on the M* is stainless. In the big scheme of things it probably make no difference even when running 100% O2 at IP pressures. But you know AA they do like to hedge their bets.

FYI, I know this isn't the main theme in the post, however, titanium should not ever be used in a regulator that will be used for 100% 02 (or even high concentrations).

It can go boom!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FYI, I know this isn't the main theme in the post, however, titanium should not ever be used in a regulator that will be used for 100% 02 (or even high concentrations). It can go boom!

Point taken, but we are talking about the second stages. For first stages that is true give the HP (~3000psi) gases they see. However, IMHO at IP (~140psi) it is not really an issue.

Last edited:
Point taken, but we are talking about the second stages. For first stages that is true give the HP (~300psi) gases they see. However, IMHO at IP (~140psi) it is not really an issue.

It should be a hard rule for first and second stages. Granted, IP pressure provides less of a risk - but there is still no reason. You're going to spend $1000+ on a titanium reg for your 02 bottle, instead of a dedicated $300 one manufactured specifically to remove the risk. Doesn't make sense. Breathing o2, just use an 02 or all "plastic" reg.

Not worth debating, and certainly not worth advising anyone on an Internet forum that "it's no big deal". That's a bad attitude.

It should be a hard rule for first and second stages. Granted, IP pressure provides less of a risk - but there is still no reason. You're going to spend $1000+ on a titanium reg for your 02 bottle, instead of a dedicated $300 one manufactured specifically to remove the risk. Doesn't make sense. Breathing o2, just use an 02 or all "plastic" reg.

Not worth debating, and certainly not worth advising anyone on an Internet forum that "it's no big deal". That's a bad attitude.

You use an O2 clean toothpaste, then? It's generally no big deal. The only reason I haven't switched my M1 second stages over to titanium valve tubes is because of the freeze-protection advantages of the chromed brass they put in it for that reason. I have switched over to the magnum 2nd stage lever, though...I may die now, I guess.

If there was one place in a second stage I really would not want titanium, it's at the orifice edge...which lo' and behold, is stainless steel in the M1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom