Poseidon Jetstream/Odin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScott

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
alright - whose got 'em and who can tell me about them? Are they worth the cash? Reliability? Servicing? I dive Lake Superior regularly. Water is less than warm. I already know EVERYONE loves the Apeks line, but how about a little thread on the Jetstream?

Hey Buff, here we go!

Scott,

First of all....you HAVE to try an Odin. You will either like it, or you will develop at deep and burning resentment of it.....and make sure you try it at depth as well, and not just a pool dive.

I use mine as an almost daily work reg and love it. I don't think about where my next breath is coming from. That being said, if your diving is relatively shallow, an Odin may not be your best bet, simply due to its charming characteristics (which you may or may not like). In shallow water, this is often described as a fluttering or mechanical feel. My last few dives were within about 30 feet, and honestly I can't remember if it fluttered or not.....I simply don't notice it. When you start to get deeper though, the Odin really shines and will give you phenomenal amounts of air.

One aspect of the Odin that I am still not overly fond of is the anti-freeze kit. It just seems to me, to be a bad idea to put an unprotected rubber cap over the 1st stage, instead of designing a rubber bellows within metal protection, like many other designs. That being said though, it has gone almost a year of heavy use without causing a problem (although this week is does need adjusting). Its cold water ability is legendary, and I prefer the bubbles being deflected off to the side.

As far as servicing is concerned, in Ontario, you shouldn't have a problem getting a qualified Poseidon tech to work on it. If you need names let me know.

Bottom line....I highly recommend the Odin, provided you have tried the reg and are comfortable with it.

Poseidon: "I bring you the breathe of the Gods!!!"

From the all natural rubber Poseidon uses on their hoses to the all metal, compact yoke adaptor the Odin just feels like it's well built. Indestructible.

Tilt your head and it breathes slightly wet. There can be tendecy to free flow. And your dive buddy will listen in horror as the second stage hisses like a king cobra as it seats! "What the hell is that?"

At depth nothing breathes better. In Europe they don't even install a cold water kit all together. Servicing should not be an issue. I have dismantled my second stage after getting sand lodged underneath it. They are no doubt tricky to put back together but once you do it, you'll realize how easy it is and never fear you reg. giving out on a long trip.

Simple upstream design that is unchallenged in the world of ice diving. Simple buddy breathing of air-left side, right side, upside down-doesn't make any difference.

It makes me so excited, I can't wait to get my Odin back from Rainreg. just so I can breathe from it.

I never tried it.......I just bought it.........I love it...but then again maybe it's not right for you..you're just a man-just a mortal-not deserving to breathe.......AS A GOD!!!!!!

Mike

Thanks guys for the info - I already knew my feelings on them. I had a guy who I had barely met offer me his brand new regs to dive with all summer long while he was working somewhere in Saskatchewan. I jumped at the chance - but aside from my training dives, I've never used another reg. I never had a problem - 43 dives. Most of my dives are between 60-80'. I've only gone deeper a couple times, but will have oppertunities this coming season.

I just dove on December 8th - water was 41 degs, no problems with the regs at all. However, the friend has returned and it now time to plunk down some hard earned cash for regs of my own. I fairly sure these are the regs I'm going to go with, I just wanted to hear from a few other Poseidon owners. Thanks guys:D

I just purchased two Poseidon Odin/Jetstreams and very very pleased with them. The construction and quality is impressive. This isn't "kid stuff" equipment. I've tried different depths, attitudes, and anything else I can think of to find something I don't like. It is great when you can find something that performs with no compromise.

DSAO

Greetings,

I'm one of those who don't care for them. I don't like the mouth piece size; the bubbles were always in my face; second stage is heavy; first stage needs a cold water kit which can tear on wrecks; if it breaks, it can cost a fortune to repair; it is finicky and needs to be adjusted frequently, but is easy to do; first stage creep isn't unusual with them; cracking resistance is very noticable compared to an Apeks -- I've used them side by side.

Other than that, if you want a reg that is renowned for not freezing, get an Odin -- that is the only good thing I have to say about them. I used mine as a backup to my Zeagle for a long time, but sold it for another Apeks. My buddy currently uses one as a backup, but he'll be ditching his as well one of these days. If all I was doing was ice dives, I'd have Odins. I just like the Apeks regs.

Take care.

Mike

Where in Superior will you be diving?

Hi
I have a pair of Odin, and I can just say that they are great, you can have the hose from left or right, specially important for the octopus for your buddy, in a stressed situation you don't have to look wich is the "up" and "down" side. They also have exactly the same 2nd stage for octopus, no low budget octopus here!
About the freezing protection, I use it with a plastic cap from a can over it, I think you can find someting that will fit in an ordinary grocery store, but I have heard people wich don't use the freezing protection even when they do ice dive, the most important thing is the dry air...

They are easy to breathe from and if you fill it with water (accidently) you don't even have to think of pressing the purge button, when you put the reg in your mouth, it is empty from water.

The only negative thing I can see is the "nonstandard" mouthpiece and hose fitting.

Diving in the Sault Ste. Marie area - St. Mary' River up to North Shores (dove near White River about a month ago). Not a whole lot to see - a boat and plane in the river by my house. some cool rock formations to go thru and sorts along Lake Superior Park. Fish? Not many and all about the same colour. Really makes me appreciate a salt water dive.

So as far as your concerned, Apeks is the way to go? I have to agree with the second stage of the Poseidon being on the heavy side, but aside from that I thought it was a pretty good reg. I won't be doing much ice-diving, if any, so I'm starting to doubt the Poseidon? :confused:

Yeah...if you aren't going to be doing a lot of ice diving I would go with the Apeks. And even if you are doing ice diving an Apeks should still be fine provided you don't breathe from the reg out of the water. The Apeks TX and ATX series regs are excellent coldwater regs.

ScubaScott-

If you are diving in cold water-or for that matter cold air it will qualify as "ice diving". You don't need ice on the lake to get ice in your regulator.

The only reason I bought the Odin was for the ability to dive in any situation, any time, anywhere. I like the breathing characteistics of the Odin-some don't and I can see why. There is the "trap door" effect that "Lost Yooper" describes. The 'cracking pressure" that must be overcome to take a breath in on the Odin is noticable and then there is the "woosh" of air. I like the total effect - many don't. I also like the large mouthpiece-many don't.

My wife has an Apeks TX50. She has used my Odin and she didn't mind it-she didn't care as long as she could breathe(her own words). If I wasn't so concerned about freeze up then I would have bought an Apeks. Apeks are good in cold water too. But the Navy tried all of the regs. side by side and proclaimed the Odin to be the reg. of choice due to it's all around performance in any kind of environment. Odin is still the reg. of choice for most of the instructors at the U.S. Navy dive training center.

The only reason not to buy an Odin and to buy the Apeks: the price of the Apeks TX40 with DS4 first stage at www.diveinn.com i'ts only $190.00 U.S. I don't think Diveinn has the Odin in stock and if you buy an Odin anywhere else(I got mine on LeisurePro before I knew about diveinn) then it will cost you $324.00 new. The price difference is sufficient reason for me to get the Apeks if I didn't do cold water. There might be some on this board who would sell you an Odin real cheap.

As far as "Yooper" saying the second stage is heavy I don't know what he is talking about. I think it's just as light as the TX50 and it doesn't hang down and out of the mouth like the Apeks.

I worried and fretted about which reg. to buy but if you continue to dive you'll probably end up buying another reg. - either way the Apeks(inexpensive at diveinn.com-where I bought mine, and a great reg. or the Poseidon(numero uno cold water reg.) you can't go wrong they are both great in my mind and I would have no hesitation about diving either one.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom