Just acquired a new (unused) Black Pearl reg set -- looking for ervice center in US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Citation7

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking for a Apeks authorized service center in the US to service an new unused (but 10 year old) Black Pearl reg set -- any recommendations/info? Thanks for time and reply!

Apeks is distributed/serviced by Aqualung dealers in the U.S. So put your zipcode in the window here at the top left: Home to find someone nearby.

Nice reg, I almost bought one once.

If you're near Chicago, Underwater Safaris seems like a decent option. No personal experience with them, I've just seen them mentioned a couple of times here on SB. http://www.uwsafaris.com/index.php

I would expect your regs to not require a service but it would be wise to get a good inspection. You could do this yourself or pay any good shop to do it. If a shop says they must be serviced without giving a clear reason, other than age, they are not the shop you need.

Thanks for the direction. Called Aqualung and they confirm that most Aqualung dealers service Apeks as well. Now just to locate one nearby that does high quality service work.

Yes, the Black Pearl is a really really nice reg, beautiful craftsmanship. Probably will just service it and hang onto to it/ for now and use my SR2 and EOS regs for daily diving. However, if you know of an Apeks buff/collector that has been looking for one, send them my way -- the thought of putting a ding on this thing just hurts!! :bash:

Thanks again.

---------- Post added September 15th, 2014 at 02:08 PM ----------

Yes, that was what I thought too, however, Apeks (UK) says that they recommend service after the set has been stored, even in new unused condition, for extended period. Probably just a CYA directive from them but hard to argue with the manufacturer... Thanks!

Yes, that was what I thought too, however, Apeks (UK) says that they recommend service after the set has been stored, even in new unused condition, for extended period. Probably just a CYA directive from them but hard to argue with the manufacturer... Thanks!

The primary purpose in the mfgr recommendation is to support their distributor's service operations. Most of my regs go 3 to 5 years or more between a full service. I have regs that I use occasionally that have not been serviced in over 10 years. I find it quite easy to disagree with the mfgr. But they, and their shops, will appreciate your $$$.

Really, that makes sense. I might feel different about that someday if my first stage seizes up at 100ft....and I make it back up...but for now...:wink:

Thanks again for the replies. Have a good one!

Any competent Aqualung/Apeks dealer can service the Black Pearl. I agree that a bench test is probably all that is needed. In case you didn't know, the Black Pearl is nothing more than a garden variety Apeks ATX 200 with some added "bling", and priced for those who are into bling. It is a limited edition, which I suspect is limited to the number Apeks thought they could sell. That said, the ATX 200 is an excellent reg and deserves to be used.

Are you looking to sell you black pearl reg?

Really, that makes sense. I might feel different about that someday if my first stage seizes up at 100ft....and I make it back up...but for now...:wink:

Thanks again for the replies. Have a good one!

What exactly do you mean by "seizes up"? Do you understand how first stages function? They don't 'seize up' and block the flow of air. And more importantly, do you often dive in such a manner that you "might make it back up" if you have a regulator problem? If so, I would respectfully suggest you need to revisit your basic dive training, because you're diving unsafely. It has nothing to do with how expensive (or recently serviced) your regulator is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom