I have 2 scubapro regs: mk25/s700 chrome vs mk25/s600 - which one will you keep?....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaronad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Life is full of tough choices....:)
well....somehow It happen that I have 2 regs:
1. The MK25 / s600 (DIN) = my current reg 4 years old = is GR8! had it service 5 month ago ( 50 dives~of use ) and has total of 100 dives on it
2. The MK25 / s700 (YOKE) = has 20 dives on it, hasn't been serviced for 2 years ...and is the chrome version of MK25

I want to sell one of them - Looking for your advice in the following:

1. Is there a difference betwin this 2 MK25 models ?
http://www.h2ogeek.com/divegear/MK25-big.jpg
and
http://www.divesupply.com/SiteImages/Data/Scubapro_MK25_First_Stage.jpg

2. can I switch / replace betwin the DIN and the YOKE ?
3. s700 vs s600....does it fill different...really

and above all ? what would be smart to do ? for the long run...
( I will be doing service to the MK25/s700....if I'll keep it)

THX in advance

I would sell the 700 (heavy IMO) and keep both 25's and the 600. Even beter, keep everything

The 700 is heavy because it's made of metal. That has the advantage of reducing freezups and helping with drymouth. I would much rather have a metal reg than a plastic one.

As I know MK25 can be switched Yoke/Din.
DIN looks more serious connection.
S600 can be opened under water if needed, 700 not.
I have two sets of MK25 DIN and S600 and like them.

The 700 is heavy because it's made of metal. That has the advantage of reducing freezups.

I've never seen anything empirical to support that. My AL legend is plastic and I've never had a freezeup/ freeflow issue on mine, in water as cold as 31.8°F. I keep hearing of it being an issue, but I've never seen anything to support it, and my experience has never shown plastic to have a problem with freezing or freeflowing. And its blissfully lighter.

I've never seen anything empirical to support that. My AL legend is plastic and I've never had a freezeup/ freeflow issue on mine, in water as cold as 31.8°F. I keep hearing of it being an issue, but I've never seen anything to support it, and my experience has never shown plastic to have a problem with freezing or freeflowing. And its blissfully lighter.

I think the conventional logic is that, being a better thermal conductor than plastic, a metal reg will be de-iced more effectively by warmth from the diver, and will better condense moisture from exhalations, which will ease drymouth.

I use regs made of carbon fiber, which (in addition to being both stronger and lighter) is an even better conductor than metal. I get less drymouth than I did with plastic ones, but I've never been in water cold enough to tell if it makes a difference as to whether they'll freeze up.

The first mk25 (Din) looks a little bigger I think and as a different black cap.....than the mk25 yoke version that as a more rounded / smaller cap + is chrome coated.

chrome coating should make a difference...to your opinion?
Has scuba pro changed or improved the later version ? or it is just different in the total look?

The 700 is heavy because it's made of metal. That has the advantage of reducing freezups and helping with drymouth. I would much rather have a metal reg than a plastic one.

I am a bit of a novice, can you please explain how the metal construction of the a700 helps reduce drymouth on OC?

I am a bit of a novice, can you please explain how the metal construction of the a700 helps reduce drymouth on OC?

See my prior post, novice with 2,200 posts..? If I am mistaken, please correct me.

Life is full of tough choices....:)
and above all ? what would be smart to do ? for the long run...
Easy choice!
1. Use them for few more years and then you should know which is better!!
2. You might venture into tec dive or SM in the future.
3. Learn how to service them so you can even know them better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom