Are there any more fleet 1st stages that have a removable hard seat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allan C Smith

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking for a good fleet 1st stage, unbalanced piston, with a removable hard seat. I am currently using the mark 2. Long story short between guests and DMs constantly leaving the dust caps off, the hard seats keep corroading. After a service they creep like crazy and basically have to be thrown away. I remember the old colipsos use to have a removable hard seat that I assume was replaceable. Is there any modern version? Or are we stuck paying out the ass for fresh mark 2s every season?

I know the obvious answer here is put the ****ing dust cap on. But dispite my best efforts I can't get this threw there heads.

Thanks for the replies

Do you mean the high pressure seat or the high pressure orifice?

If the latter then I'm not aware of another piston regulator that has a removable one.

However, unless there is a really good reason to be using an unbalanced piston regulator nowadays I'd suggest switching to something like an Oceanic CDX5 with DVT. It has a removable/replaceable HP orifice and the DVT system will help prevent damage from careless users leaving the dust cap off.

We use the unbalanced pistons because they are simple to service and hold up well the the abuse of diving off of charter yachts where water for extisive rensing is unavailable. I saw DVT system on a guests rig this week and it looked cool.

Thanks for the advice.

TBH I find servicing a balanced diaphragm as easy, if not easier than servicing a piston. Much easier to set the IP too, no mucking about with shims, just dial it in with an allen key.

Diaphragm first stages inherently keep water out of the internals as well.

It might take if you suspend them for not doing it. No pay is often a good motivator. As for guests take a deposit of $100.00 on their credit card. If they bring the reg back without the dust cap they lose the deposit. Another result of quickie classes and taking shortcuts in training. No time spent on gear care.

---------- Post added September 20th, 2014 at 02:20 PM ----------

Be aware that if the DVT reg is dropped in more than say a foot of water it will not keep the water out. The spring is very light and 18 inches of water or so and the pressure will be enough to defeat it. Same with rinsing. If you hit it with a hose you will get water past it.

---------- Post added September 20th, 2014 at 02:20 PM ----------
Be aware that if the DVT reg is dropped in more than say a foot of water it will not keep the water out. The spring is very light and 18 inches of water or so and the pressure will be enough to defeat it. Same with rinsing. If you hit it with a hose you will get water past it.

Not to mention that some of the DVT's are noisy. The Aqualung ACD is not perfect either, but at least it is quiet.

contact EDGE, the have unbalanced pistons made of Titanium. It was my idea for rentals, frankly it didn't catch on. Those regs will last a lifetime or two in renatl use, you will have to replace the normal service stuff, hoses as they wear out and mouthpieces. That is all. They won't corrode and you are fine with nitrox 40 and lower.

I think you'd be surprised at how affordable they are.

What he said ^^, In fact shoot me a PM with your shipping details and I'll get you a quote together. I ship worldwide via USPS. Often less expensive than UPS and FedEx and no added brokerage fees on top of actual shipping like UPS and Fed Ex use. I can also give you a ballpark figure on customs using the calculator I have for most anywhere in the world. Can also refer you to some freight forwarders if you don't currently have one.

Perhaps you should instruct your guests (and DMs) not to rinse your regulators after use. Take care of it back at the shop where it can be done right. And maybe get some better DMs.

1. DM should provide his/her own equipment.
2. Get the DM to hose down the pressurized regs after the gear has returned to the shop.
3. As suggested, get better staff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom