How much do you pay for servicing your regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BikerManiac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went to my LSD and I was charged $140 for servicing 1st, 2nd and octopus. This is the most expensive I have paid to service regs.

Here is the background:
Atomic Aquatics Z3 1st and second stage. 1 year old, went diving 5 days with them.
Atomic Aquatics SS1 Octopus. 2 year old <-- this needed servicing.

I figured I would service both of them at the same time so their schedule would match next time I service them.

Anyhow I was charged $80 for labor and $50 for parts + taxes.

Is this normal? The last couple of years I would send my regs to scubatoys and I was never charged more than $60 or 70$ (not including shipping).

So how much do you guys pay for servicing your regs?

Thanks.

I service my own, but that's actually about normal for parts+labor. If you bought from Scubatoys they might have given you free parts kits, some shops and some mfgs have this in place.

That's exactly what I just paid for to get my O2 reg serviced. It has fewer parts than a normal reg (no second), but there's a different parts kit.

Ballpark number has been $25/stage (so $75) + parts.... Seems on par.

Why did they need service?

The price looks about right. The real question you need to ask yourself is did they really need servicing. Clearly looks like the 1st and primary did not. What makes you think the SS1 did?

The SS1 was to keep up with the schedule maintenance. (Every 2 years) I bought them at different times basically one year apart.

Thanks all. Feel better.

CAN WE MAKE DIVING CHEAPER PLEASE!!!!

awap, he needed to keep up with authorized service every 2 years to maintain the warranty....

I thought the atomic warranty was not conditioned on the service record. In any case, such a warranty gets to be pretty expensive when you must pay for a service (and parts) every 1 or 2 years when such service is probably only necessary every 4 to 5 years if you take good care of your gear..

I don't charge by the stage. My labor rate is 45.00 an hour plus parts if required. Normally I can service a well cared for reg (1st, 2 seconds) in about an hour and a quarter and actually break my rate down to the 1/4 hour after the first. A reg that requires more time due to poor care by the owner is going to cost more. More time cleaning and sometimes just getting them apart. I've seen some bad ones. With parts a full rebuild on all components comes out to around 110.00 plus return shipping normally. Ballpark. But sometimes the octo does not need a rebuild. Just cleaning and adjustment. So no parts used. Less expensive.

I thought the atomic warranty was not conditioned on the service record. In any case, such a warranty gets to be pretty expensive when you must pay for a service (and parts) every 1 or 2 years when such service is probably only necessary every 4 to 5 years if you take good care of your gear..

You are right. Atomic don't require service records for warranty. However they still recommend maintenance every 2 year. I really wish I could just do it every 5 or 10 years. But for a life supporting device I would rather follow the guideline unless they say otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom