HOG Zenith vs Edge Epic 2012: Noticable difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kheovnien

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys.
I'm new to the forum and diving (2 months, 20 dives). I'm PADI open water certified but plan on getting advanced and doing wreck diving. I live in Orange County, CA where the water is colder but not freezing. Looking to purchase my first regulator setup. I've narrowed my choices between the Edge Epic 2012 and Hog Zenith + D3. My research indicates that the HOG is built with better materials (less plastic/rubber) but they will both breath super easy and work well in most scenarios. What I haven't been able to find is a clear indication on the benefits of the Zenith vs the Epic 2012 or the D3 advantages over the Epic 1st stage. I don't have any plans to go any deeper than 130 ft (but comment if one is better than the other at certain depths) and I will be diving in 55F - 70F water on a usual basis. Looking for any direct experience or evidence of why I should jump to the Zenith or just get the "rec diver" epic 2012. Money is not a concern but recurring costs, servicing, durability, etc. is useful. Any help or redirection is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

for that it's 6 is one, half dozen the other. Quality is about the same, recurring costs will be about the same. Don't discount the D1/Classic either, same basic regulator and can usually save about $200 over the D3. At this stage in your diving you won't notice any breathing differences, though there really aren't.

The HOG D1/D3 first stages have the turret, which is nice for hose routing, especially if you run a longer hose down under your shoulder then back up to your mouth which has been my preferred single tank reg setup for well over 5 years. It's not marketed by DiveRite as the Advanced Open Water reg or something like that, great way to utilize the fifth port and makes the whole package much nicer.

Some prefer the heavier HOG seconds, some prefer the lighter Edge seconds, can't go wrong really with either. Hold off until Black Friday if you can, Dive Right in Scuba will go nuts with pricing and you can get the regs cheaper than they already are.

I'd get the Hog D3/Zenith. The recurring costs will be practically the same, if not less on the Hogs as you can eventually learn to do your own servicing...especially if you get multiple reg sets. The Edge stuff is fine, but I feel like the Hog looks better. No reason to not get the Hogs unless you like the look of the Edges.....it's not like you can't rec dive with the Hogs :D

Most of the information above is good. I have sold many Edge Epic regulators to divers. They work very well and breath about as well as any other reg you will find. I do sell far more HOG regulators then Edge. I chose to use HOG regs on my rental fleet because they have more metal parts and are more durable. When I assembled my rental fleet the D1/Classic was the current reg set. For my own personal diving, I now use the D3/Zenith for singles, doubles and sidemount. The hose routing is fantastic, especially with the 5th port and swivel turret. The work of breathing (or ease of breathing) is as good or better then any other reg I have tried, and frankly the price is right.

Hold off until Black Friday if you can, Dive Right in Scuba will go nuts with pricing and you can get the regs cheaper than they already are.

As in the Friday after Thanksgiving?

Hold off until Black Friday if you can, Dive Right in Scuba will go nuts with pricing and you can get the regs cheaper than they already are.

As in the Friday after Thanksgiving?

That's exactly what I'm going to do. I just hope they don't sell out.

Back
Top Bottom