SP's or user serviceable regs for rec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to think of myself as a minimally advanced recreational diver. I've currently got 2 sets of Mk10/g250's in my posession but was wondering if anyone had thoughts on keeping those or swapping to a more user-serviceable reg since I'm big on DIY (with proper learning/testing) and not so big on paying for something I can probably do myself. The tools aren't an issue and neither on the books really. Just looking on thoughts on the regs. Currently diving New England waters with hopes of getting pretty late in to the fall/early in the spring dives so some cold air/water with the rest of the diving eventually in CA. Currently doing single tank/pony bottle but also have access to bands and a manifold if I decide to go doubles.

The Mk10 G250 is the archetypal balanced piston 1st and balanced 2nd (well actually the MK5/BA156 is) and is simpler to service than the Mk20 and MK25's/S600.
They are very straight forward and easy to service with 2 or 3 specialized tools to open and install the parts into the 1st stage.

There is little or no performance or reliability improvement with more modern regs over your current sets.

There are other regs that are even easier to service with no specialized tools such as Conshelf/Titan and Mares MR12/16/22 which might be better for water temps below 50 degrees.

I've currently got 2 sets of Mk10/g250's in my posession but was wondering if anyone had thoughts on keeping those or swapping to a more user-serviceable reg since I'm big on DIY

I don't think there are more user-servicable regs than what you already have. Parts are widely available despite SP's idiotic restrictions. There are good sources for the few specialized tools you need (herman makes a great HP o-ring installation tool) and there are lots of DIYers offering free advice here.

As far as cold water use, you can pack the chambers with grease; if you can find a SPEC boot model, this works out really well. I use packed MK10s on my doubles. But, unless you're diving in a drysuit, its unlikely that you'll be in cold enough water to cause a freeze anyway.

Thanks guys. Wasn't sure if Sherwood's or HOGs would've been easier to service/ better breathers. And halocline- I'm diving dry in Boston, so there's a chance of some pretty cold temps

if you're diving through the winter I would highly recommend going with a sealed diaphragm over the pistons for the first stage. You can use whatever seconds you want, but packing the pistons with grease is messy and irritating, especially in the nasty water up there. HOG D1 should go on sale at Black Friday for somewhere around $150 ish, so may want to grab one of those. The SP's are fine to service yourself, but the pistons don't seal particularly well and then you curse yourself when you go to try to clean the grease out of them. You obviously don't have to pack them, but if you're diving in water with high particulate in it or with the potential for them to freeze, you kind of have to....

Thanks guys. This was the type of dialogue I was hoping for. I'll look in to swapping to a Hog in the future at some point in time. Any thoughts on whether I'd be risking things by diving HOG single tank with a Mk10 on a pony tank in cold weather?

edit- without getting in to the virtues of a pony bottle...

If the primary reason you'd switch from the Mk-10 to a sealed diaphragm (the HOG or similar) is to prevent cold water freeze-up, I'd think that you'd want the same level of cold water capability on your redundant air source... I could envision a free-flow on your primary, resulting in some stress (and temporarily increased breathing rate), you quickly deploy the pony (still breathing more quickly than normal), and the unsealed pony reg suddenly free-flows due to the "stressed" breathing rate.... now you have all your regs free-flowing, increasing your stress level further... not good.

But the coldest water I've ever dove in was in the mid-60's, so what would I know :wink:.

Best wishes.

I much prefer the diaphragm design for colder water diving. All first stages I dive are sealed.

User serviceability is more then just being able, it's being trained and not voiding manufacturers guidelines too. The HOGs are the only regs who allow the end-user to be fully trained and certified to service their own regs. HOGs are now the only reg I use for personal use, classes and rentals......of course I am a HOG dealer and HOG Service Technician Instructor, so I may be a little partial. :wink:

Lead turn- I understand what you're saying. I was thinking the pony would not be under much stress but the sudden pressure change is a good point.

Scubatude- I know it's more than just the ability to service them but I'm trying to set myself up for success first.

I would not rush out and buy sealed diaphragm regulators unless you are diving in sub-40F water. Probably several hundred thousands of cold water dives have been successfully made on MK10s, they've been around for decades. You might try a balanced/adjustable (or converted 109) 2nd stage; those are reputed to have excellent cold water performance due to being all metal.

By the way, the grease packing is not messy or inconvenient at all if you have a SPEC boot MK10. Mine have been packed for years, it works great. The SPEC boot models have a groove where the ambient chamber vent holes are. There's a rubber boot that fits into that groove.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom