cracking pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeatCker

Contributor
Reaction score
i had a cold water free flow earlier this year, start of the dive season, early june, wreck dive, lake ontario, 43 F, 71'
most of my diving is in shallow local lakes and rivers (less than 60' deep) and above 60 F.
Fall is setting in and local water temps are dropping.
between now and the end of dive season temps will be dropping from 60 to 40's F.
my dive shop just adjusted my cracking pressure to help with the free flow issue.
can anyone tell me what is involved in adjusting the cracking pressure.
i assume adjustments would have to be made both in the primary and 1st stage.
does adjusting the cracking pressure cause additional wear on the components.
my regs .. scubapro, MK17, S555
just curious .. thanks

Don't worry, your reg is fine. The cracking pressure is adjusted by moving the orifice in your S555 slightly, no adjustment is needed on the first stage and it does not cause additional wear on components.

Another cause of free flow would be high Intermediate Pressure in the First Stage, but the dive shop should have checked it when thy adjusted your cracking pressure. No need to worry there.

W

Cracking pressure is just how hard you have to inhale before the second stage valve "cracks" open and allows gas to flow.

Adjusting that pressure upwards will mean you have to inhale a little bit harder before you start to get air but it will only reduce the risk of freeflows initiated by pressure acting on the diaphragm and then sustained by the venturi. It will not reduce the risk of freeflows caused by low temperatures causing ice to form on working parts and freezing them open.

The MK17 is reputed to be one of the most freeze resistant 1st stages available. I can't imagine that it froze on you in 43F water, there must have been something else going on.

Back
Top Bottom