My HOG Regs are Crap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canadave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I did my research on Scubaboard, listened to the hype and bought a HOG DI cold water package. I thought I got a great deal.

Turns out, not so much. I bought them less than two years ago from Dive Quest in Burnaby, BC. A reputable and established dive shop, BTW.

I recently brought them in to fix a torn hose and for regular 1st and 2nd stage servicing. When the manager saw the regs, he warned me they have had nothing but problems with them. He described them as cheap knock offs of quality regulators that have corrosion issues due to inferior metal components. Admittedly, they seemed to be doing their job. When I needed air, it was there, and I didn`t find them difficult to breathe.

Sure enough I got a call from the shop that my 2nd stage orifices were badly corroded and one was "welded" in place. I have a photo attached but I am new to posting so it may not appear. It is in the members gallery if you don`t see it here and really want to see a badly corroded orifice.

I asked if it may have been something I did, knowing full well that I am meticulous with my gear and always rinse it well. The only thing I did was regularly breathe them in deep, cold salty water! Shame on me. Anyway, the manager assured me that they have seen this so often that they don`t carry them anymore and that it wasn`t any failing on my part. I have learned my lesson and I am now looking at getting a set of Apeks.

So, my question is, why haven't I heard anything about this issue? Has anyone else experienced this? If no one else has had this issue, I suggest you get your regs serviced ASAP and consider this cautionary tale.

SubstandardFullSizeRender_0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not seen any 2nd stage orifices being badly corroded or "welded" in place. Very often, it's the adjustment screw o-ring that leaks a little water through, and after awhile, corrosion builds up on the threads and the adjusting knob can't be turned by hand. This I do attribute to a design problem. Also, water leaks into the adjusting knob picture on the knob and it fogs up the picture so it can no longer be seen.

But it's nothing serious, that can't be fixed by a good clean in an ultrasonic cleaner (except for the picture on the knob). I have serviced 2nd stages that have not been serviced for 2 years and have not seen this problem.

However, a very common problem I encounter is the environmental cap on the 1st stage being "welded" (if I can call it that) in place to the diaphragm cap by corrosion. Also, I have seen the diaphragm cap being "welded" in place to the 1st stage body. These 2 issues are very, very common.

Another issue I have seen is the DIN lockdown screw being corroded and so tight in the DIN housing that they separate as a whole unit instead of separately on disassembly. This seems to be quite common as well, although not as common as the issue with the environmental cap and diaphragm cap.

However, these are problems for your tech, not for you. I think any experienced tech will be able to handle these issues without any problems. They are not "crappy" regs by any means, and for the price, I think they are good value. My complaint is their weight. They weigh a ton!

This isn't a problem exclusive to HOG.
All regulators come woefully underlubed from the factory. (HOG and Apeks are particularly bad for this)
I can't see your photo of the corroded orifice but again this is not a problem exclusive to HOG and why many manufacturers have swapped to plastic orifices.

........I have just spent a week of soaking, boiling water treatments , kroil(ing) and PB Blastering an enviro cap from an Apeks DST trying to get it to come apart.
Have I said that I hate pin spanners recently?

Your pic did not come out...I would be very interested in seeing it. I do not have any first hand knowledge with Hogs...like the OP just read posts on SB.

BTW...100s of dives on my Atomics & ScubaPro regs ... in cold water ... and no issues. :)

Click on Gallery on the bar below the advert at the top of this page and the corroded orifice is the first picture.

I've never seen an orifice in that condition before but then I've never serviced Hogs. AFAIK they are simply a clone of an equivalent Apeks.

It puzzles me as most other manufacturers use chromed brass so there shouldn't be anything to corrode in that particular manner so it might be an "inferior metal" such as chromed steel.

In any event there really shouldn't be significant moisture getting in there to cause such corrosion. Beware of depressing the purge whilst rinsing or immersing an unpressurised regulator. Even resting the second stage on the purge button when immersed can cause water to enter the cross case body if the lever height is set too high.

In any event, a new orifice is buttons to buy so I wouldn't splash out on new regs just for this reason.

Rinsing does not remove salt water from unprotected threads. It takes a long soak to do that job. Such threads should also be lubed well for added protection. I did not think the orifice looked that bad. As long as the knife edge is still good (and it must be if performance is still OK), I don't really see a problem. --- Other than post dive care.

I think your shop may just be trying to make a sale.

I have never seen an orifice welded in. Some came close but that was not due to the design of the reg. The owner rinsed (read soaked which is not rinsing) the stages and then stored the regs for 7 months while he was deployed. It was clear that some small amount of saltwater was left in there. What did the regs look like when you took them in last year for their recommended annual inspection? What did the shop tell you to do as far as care and rinsing of them at that time? Just out of curiosity what other lines do they carry since it seems apeks is not one or I'd guess you'd have bought a set from them.
What I would consider meticulous care is soaking them in clean fresh water immediately after a dive day. Then rinsing with fresh running water while pressurized. Then wiping and drying the din connection and the cap with a damp towel and then drying. Next I'd soak the seconds in warm to hot tap water in the sink while working the adjustment knob and lever. Rinse again, soak again, rinse and air dry. Then I'd remove the environmental seal as its only supposed to be hand tight. Wiped the threads on it and the reg body and if diving saltwater put a dab of lube on the threads and screw it back on. Before I put them away I'd take the second stage cover off and lift out the diaphragm. I'd look for any white residue. See any and that means salt is still in there. So rinse again. That is what I would call meticulous. Any less is average care. If the regs see a lot of saltwater diving I'd do this at least every other outing.

I'm very familiar with the shop and they are overall top notch. However, I own and service HOG and Apeks regs. Although I'm hesitant to say they are looking for a sale it's possible there is an issue with the reg tech. They should be able to be serviced just fine. It may be a more expensive option but far cheaper than buying Apeks but consider shipping the regs to Diverightinscuba for service and see if the story is any different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your input. First off, I incorrectly called the shop "Dive Quest". It is Ocean Quest, not my usual LDS, and I was up late typing! I went here as they were the only shop in my area carrying the HOGs, but I know they also carry Apeks and Scubapro. I went with the HOGs based on the recommendations here and for the incredible price.

Thanks also for the lesson on what "meticulous" means when it comes to reg care. I have never gone that far, but I am also no reg tech. I do soak and rinse in fresh water same day after diving, but I will definitely be more careful in the future and heed your advice.

The point however was that this corrosion issue was not something unique to me but something the store manager warned me about as soon as I brought the HOGs in for servicing.

I agree though that I should seek a second opinion from another reg tech before I go buying something else.

Thanks again for your thoughtful replies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom