Switching to BP/W: Do I buy new reg set or cannibalize old set to build new one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dstrain

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I'm making the switch from a jacket BCD with integrated inflate/octo (Scubapro Air2) to a BP/W rig, and to that end I need to reconfigure my regulator setup. I see two options and can't decide which way to go, so I'm hoping to get some feedback from you guys.

Option 1: Reuse what I can from existing regulator setup, buy missing components, and sell the old stuff.

My current system is a Zeagle Envoy Deluxe (~2006 model) first and second stage with a Scubapro AIR2 octo. The gauge console is also Zeagle with analog compass, depth and pressure gauges.

The AIR2 and gauges need to go. But the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe 1st and 2nd stages are still in good shape. I'm wondering if I should just buy another second stage, new hoses and a brass & glass spg and add them to the Zeagle 1st stage? It seems like I might be able to save a few bucks going this route, which would be nice since I'm also shelling out for a new BP/W from DSS.

If I do reuse I figured I'd continue to use the Zeagle as my primary reg on a 7ft hose and buy a new reg for the necklace, along with an SPG. Any suggestions for a decent but affordable reg to serve as the backup? Something in the $150 and under range?

So total spend might be...$200 - $325

Hoses: $70-80
Reg: $150 or under
SPG: $75
Install: ? - not sure if swapping the hoses and adding the new reg and SPG is a DIY job or not. But I'm budgeting around $100 just in case it has to go to the shop.

Option 2: Buy all new regulator setup and sell the old stuff.

Buying everything new can get pricey. The lowest pricing I've see so far is the diverightinscuba.com deal on Hog regulators. They have a full setup going right now for $419:

Hog D1 Singles Regulator Package w/ SPG - Dive Right in Scuba
2 x Hog D1 2nd stage regs, 1 Hog D1 DIN 1st Stage, Hog SPG, all hoses, free reg bag

The only drawback I see with this is that it's DIN. I dive strictly recreational, don't own my own tanks so I'm always renting, and would rather not have to mess with an adapter while traveling. I don't know if it's possible, or even offered, to get this type of package for yoke, but if it is then this deal looks tempting.

What do you guys think the best way to go is?

The Singles package was available in yoke. It is no longer unless a dealer has one of the yoke ones still in stock. You can get a new HOG second stage, either the Classic or a Zenith for less than 150. The retail on a Zenith is about 130 and the Classic around 110. If the Zeagle is still performing well no reason not to use it. Just check the IP as sometimes the second needs to be tuned to the first stage.
"Install: ? - not sure if swapping the hoses and adding the new reg and SPG is a DIY job or not. But I'm budgeting around $100 just in case it has to go to the shop." Yes absolutely a DIY job. You can take it to a shop but if they charged you more than 15 or 20 bucks to do it you're getting taken for a ride. It's a ten minute job if that.

The Singles package was available in yoke. It is no longer unless a dealer has one of the yoke ones still in stock. You can get a new HOG second stage, either the Classic or a Zenith for less than 150. The retail on a Zenith is about 130 and the Classic around 110. If the Zeagle is still performing well no reason not to use it. Just check the IP as sometimes the second needs to be tuned to the first stage.
"Install: ? - not sure if swapping the hoses and adding the new reg and SPG is a DIY job or not. But I'm budgeting around $100 just in case it has to go to the shop." Yes absolutely a DIY job. You can take it to a shop but if they charged you more than 15 or 20 bucks to do it you're getting taken for a ride. It's a ten minute job if that.

Thanks for the info Jim! I'm leaning towards reusing the Zeagle and will look into the HOG Zenith and Classic as the alternate 2nd stage. Would you mind expanding on this a bit - "Just check the IP as sometimes the second needs to be tuned to the first stage."? I'm not sure what "IP" stands for.

And BTW - thanks for sending the BPW article. It was very thorough and informative. A very nice read. I especially like your description of the difficulties donning standard BCDs, with Velcro sticking to itself, twisted straps, etc. It essentially summed up my frustrations with my current BCD, especially after fighting with it on a rocking boat in the Gulf of Mexico this past weekend.

Is there a reason you need to loose the Air II and the current gauges, training, DIR/GUE?
The Air II should fit on the inflator hose and the guages should be fine for recreational diving.
The Zeagle is a good reg so there should be no need to replace it. If you need a new second pick up a good one, Zeagle, Hog, Apeks, ScubaPro, Atomic ect. If you need to loose the console pop the SPG out of the console and use the SPG from the console.

One small added complexity since you don't sound like someone who will be servicing their own regs is that you'll need to find a Zeagle/Hog dealer to do yours.

I would call Scubatoys - I'd be very surprised if they don't have a Zeagle 2nd laying around they can part with reasonably. I bought an Envoy (not a Deluxe) 1st from them once - it was an unused demo model that had sat in the case for a couple years. Might've cost me $75. Or can order you a new one.

Unless you also have it laying around, you'll probably need to order an inflator hose if you make the swap back from your AirII. It's probably at least a different length and might be a different fitting?

Intermediate Pressure = IP. Normally in the 125-145 psi range. You can buy a gauge that goes on your LP inflator hose to check this yourself for around 20 bucks. Good little item to have. If your current reg is not free flowing your IP is probably ok. Call some of your local shops and ask if you can bring your reg in to have them do a two minute check to see what it is. It doesn't take any longer than that. If they say you have to leave it - don't. Not necessary. If they sell and service regs someone there can put a guage on and check it with it on a tank.

---------- Post added October 17th, 2014 at 05:08 PM ----------

And they do not have to be a Zeagle dealer to do that.

Of course keep the Zeagle, ....or..... sell everything and buy another Zeagle.

Just buy hoses and a 2nd stage. You shouldn't spend anywhere near $70 for the hoses, though. You need a 5' (or 7') and a 22" LP hose, and a 24" HP hose. Check divegearexpress or caveadventurers for those. You can ebay the air2, someone will buy it.

For a 2nd stage, if you can get another of what you already have at a good deal, that would make things a bit easier at service time. You're going to love the DSS set up.

Putting the hoses on yourself is very easy, maybe just a bit more challenging than changing a light bulb. You'll need a couple of wrenches.

If your zeagle is perfectly functioning, I see no reason to change.
- You can get hoses from DGX. HP 24": $27, LP22": $18, LP7': $31. Total: $76. Free shipping
- You can get class HOG 2nd stage for bungee backup, they usually go for ~$100 or maybe less.
- You can re-use your SPG until it die.
- You will need some bolt snaps, small one for logn hose, medium one for SPG, maybe ~$10 from DGX.
- Go to west marane get 2 ft of bungee

So total $186, call it $200. You can definitely put everything together yourself, takes 5 minutes. And sell Air2 for whatever you can get, say $75. Then you are set for $125 or less out out pocket. It is still more economical then $419

likely can't reuse the SPG if he's going that route since most console SPG's are in 250psi increments instead of 100psi increments.

If you're staying strictly recreational you can swap the air2 over to the bp/w and just use that if you want. Hell you can actually pull the whole inflator assembly off of your current jacket and swap it over for now. The console isn't actually a bad thing if you're only doing recreational dives, especially if you don't see the need for a computer. Just put a brass clip on it and clip it to your right shoulder D-ring. It's actually a pretty good place for it.

Strictly recreational diving lends no need for a hose that long. I find a standard 40-44" octo hose with a 90* adapter perfect for open water recreational diving. Run it down under your armpit and back up to your mouth. I've been diving like this for 5+ years when in open water, doubles or singles

[video=youtube;2OrTXi-hjv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OrTXi-hjv4&list=UUVCYEickXcRonYDFqvvZ4hw[/video]

no reason to buy any new gear other than maybe an angle adapter, $15 at DGX, and maybe another second stage with hose. You can swap everything around so long as you have a crescent wrench and a set of allen keys. Super simple

Back
Top Bottom