Aqualung Legend vs. Apex DS4/XTX40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So...

I've been diving since 1984. I've used quite a few rental regs and shop regs but aside from one Sherwood (which I would describe as a bad purchase) I've never owned a reg that was not an Aqualung ... until recently.

My first reg was given to me by my Uncle. An Aqualung Aquarius (ca. 1974). I still have it and still find that it breathes as well as 1/2 of the regs on the market. My second was a Sherwood Maximus. 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th were all Aqualungs (after I sold the Sherwood). I was becoming "brand loyal".

This year, however, I wanted to give one of my aqualungs to my daughter to use and my wife objected. She said, "you're going to give her some old junk to dive with".... and then it was silent for 30 seconds and she said, "actually, with all the tech diving you do... you shouldn't be diving with old junk either".

I tried to explain that the regs I had were fine (albeit older) but my best dive buddy was over and also said to my wife that she was right and I should do more to keep my kit up to date.

*sigh*

OK.... so some key decisions and a fucton of money later I retired several regs, got the Aqualung Legend LX supreme rebuilt from the ground up for my daughter (cost me 300 euros) because it was the most awesome reg I've ever had, and I bought 2 new regs.

These ones are both Apexs DS4/XTX40 combinations for my twin set. This is the first time in many years I haven't had an aqualung on my twins and I wanted to report on my initial findings. I'll admit at this point that I bought the Apex regs with reservations because despite the fact that I'm not normally "brand loyal" I had become a real Aqualung fan.

1) Characteristics

They make a different sound. Just like when you drive the same car for a long time it has its own sound..... Likewise a reg has a sound that gets burnt into your brain. When it makes the sound you expect, then you never notice it. As soon as the sound changes, even a bit.... all of our alarm bells go off.

The Apexs makes a very different sound than that legend does. Initially it sounds..... harsher.... louder. As you go deeper with them, through 30, 40, 50m the sound is also different than an aqualung at this depth. So you have to adjust your entire mental image of what it should sound like. This is (for a technical diver) *incredibly* distracting. It took me maybe 30 or 40 dives to reset that sound in my brain after having made well over a 1000 dives with the aqualung in my mouth.

2) Quality

I have used good, better, best, regulators in my time. My mind/body had adjusted to exactly how the aqualung worked. This was a danger. I often felt like I "forgot" that I was under water when I was diving. I still believe that the aqualung legend is probably the best regulator ever built with respect to work of breathing. When I first started using the XTX40 I felt that it needed "breaking in". It took 20 or 30 dives before I had the feeling again that could "forget" that I was under water. Part of this might have been related to the alarm bells I had from the way it sounded, but part of it I really do believe was real.... like it needed to be broken in. I've never had this with a regulator before and, again, I don't know if it was me or the reg, but I've heard this same feedback from other new users as well.

3) Suitability.

I've been diving with the DS4/XTX40 mostly in a technical context for the last season. Initially I needed to adjust to them but I believe that much of that may have had to do with me and not the regulator. At this point in time I feel that they are perfectly adequate regs for technical diving and I would recommend them (with consideration to a period of adjustment) as viable alternatives for the top end Aqualung regs.

R..

Well Diver0001 I have good news. You can quit feeling guilty about jumping ship, because Apeks is an Aqualung brand. Between the 2 regs though I'd give the nod to the legend. I'm a big fan of AL/Apeks regs and I'm a reg tech and tech diver so I'm a little familiar with them. We'll start at the first stages. They are both environmentally sealed balanced diaphragm regs but the legend is forged VS. machined from bar stock like the DS4. A forged design is advantageous in that the design can reduce the angle that the gas needs to turn thus improving air flow. Not that machined regs are bad, forged are just better. I dive tec 3's and they are virtually the same as the DS4 just different routing, and no problems. Now the second stage I feel you cheated yourself by not getting XTX 50's, otherwise it would basically be the same second stage as the legend. Both 2nd staged are pneumatically balanced, but the legend has a user adjustment where the XTX 40 only has a venturi switch. The XTX 50 has the adjustment knob which is the only difference between the 40 & 50. Over all I'd say you can't go wrong with either reg. I'm just glad you didn't ask us to compare the legend to the XTX 200, that would be a dead even tie.

Thanks, Joe,

The choice for the XTX40 was a conscious one. I very seldom adjusted the cracking of the Legend on the fly so I felt that a good quality pneumatically balanced 2nd would be good enough. It was also a nod to a philosophy I believe in of keeping everything as straightforward as possible.

Have you heard other people tell you that the XTX40 needed "breaking in"? When I heard it from someone else I thought maybe it isn't all just in my head.

R..

could just be how it was serviced from the factory. Whenever I get new regs or buddies get new regs, I will usually take them apart, relube, and retune. Doesn't take a whole lot, but it usually makes a considerable difference. If the IP is set different on the DS4's than it was on your Legend, then that would make the sound different, the XTX40 might have the crack pressure set a bit different which changes how the first stages respond, ever dove with a Poseidon Jetstream? they have a sound like no other... I like it, but it's very different, it's more of a gulp than a sip, that's the best way to describe the difference with them.

I don't really see a need for adjustment knobs, but some people do and most high end regs have them, I never use them. The on/off switch for the Jetstream is brilliant and actually makes a serious difference unlike the venturi/adjustment levers, but alas, I digress.

Anywho, there is a bit of a difference, but I would recommend adjusting the second stages and verifying the IP on the first stages is where you want them to be, and then trying again.

ever dove with a Poseidon Jetstream? they have a sound like no other... I like it, but it's very different, it's more of a gulp than a sip, that's the best way to describe the difference with them.

Not personally but I had a buddy who used them and he said what you said.... "you don't breathe a Jetstream... it breathes you!" LOL.

I don't remember it making a distracting sound but then I wasn't using it.

Good tip about the tuning. Maybe I should have had that done when I bought them.

Cheers,
R..

you can do it yourself if you have basic hand tools, it's not terribly hard.
http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/apeks/
manuals are all there, the DS4 is in with the US and Tek3 service manuals, and the XTX service and tuning is all the same. First stage shouldn't need anything if the IP is right, but adjusting the second stages is pretty easy to DIY. No special tools needed really, just a halfway decent memory and a full tank.

tbone....thanks again for passing along this frogkick website.

I don't expect to work on my own regulators but I really prefer knowing as much as possible about the equipment my wife and other family members rely on when diving.

And unfortunately I have experienced way too many goof up's from dealers that have "serviced" my regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom