Swapping Out Configuration between Rec, Sidemount and Backmount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomcatbubba

Trimix Instructor | Master Instructor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just curious, does anyone on the board run one set of primary 1st and second stages that get swapped out depending on the type of diving involved? I have a set configured for sidemount, but am considering that instead of purchasing a second and third regulator set, I would like to swap hoses and plug ports for recreational configuring during instruction (IDC etc) or the occasional backmount dive I conduct. Is this considered hard on the 1st stages (o-rings etc).

Thanks,
TB

The only time we do this is when we go cave diving in MX and decide to do an OW dive with a single tank. It's a PITA, frankly. And of course, every time you move things around, you run a risk of nicking an o-ring or not getting something tightened properly.

Thanks, that is kind of what I was thinking as well.

I had an HP hose come loose just before a dive because I was swapping regs around and somehow missed putting a wrench on that one.

I now have dedicated regs so I don't have to borrow/swap pieces and parts. It's the only way to go...

I end up doing it myself quite a bit, and I am planning to get more regulators to avoid that PITA.

I swap them around but from going from my sidemount setup to my backmount setup it literally only involves swapping the HP hoses. Everything else stays the same. If you have turrets it's a bit different since they tend to be rotated 180* from sidemount setup. If you're going over to singles it becomes a pain, but with the cost of reg sets you may as well get a few extras. If you do have the 5th port depending on your hose routing you can leave most of the hoses on from sidemount.
5th port is your octo, turret has long hose *or in my case a 44" hose to go under the shoulder and back up*, your wing inflator, and then the spg hose comes down as well. You cock the regulator a few degrees down to keep the strain off of the SPG. That is how I go over to single tank diving if I'm using a turret, but I try to avoid single tank diving like the plague.

Swapping hoses at the first stage is very easy and if you're even remotely mechanically inclined and careful, the chance of damaging something is very slight. It's not hard on the first stage at all, unless you're a gorilla with the wrench. It's not something you'd want to do before every dive, but occasional swapping around to accommodate different set ups? Not a problem at all. I do it frequently to try out different 2nd stages, switching between doubles and single tank while traveling, sometimes for travel the regs pack better if the hoses are disconnected. Some 2nd stages are a bit more involved because there's either a special wrench (thank you SP) or the need for 2 wrenches, one to hold the nut on the 2nd stage, one to turn the hose fitting.

First stage threads are protected by the o-ring, so there really should never been any build up of corrosion on those threads, but 2nd stage threads are not (at least none of mine are) so its actually not a bad idea to remove the 2nd stage from the hose periodically if you dive in salt water and don't soak your reg afterwards.

It's always a good idea to keep a few hose o-rings around anyway, most of the LP hoses use 010, HP use 011. Port plugs would be the same.

This summer I was switching hoses are few times for sidemount, single tank sidemount and back mount.

It did not take long and no problems with the o-rings or leaks.

With diving changing between singles, doubles, dry/wet, different wings, and just simple goofing around (double hose), it was easier to scrounge up some folks rarely used gear at bargain (Xbay, Craig's List, SB Classifieds, etc.) prices, and have what I want without having to keep changing parts and pieces. YMMV. Then again, I think I could open a shop with what I have accumulated over my years.....:help:

I have only started to dive sidemount but going between backmounted doubles and a single I do not have to swap anything! I use H valves on my single 120's and the regs are always the same as my double cave kit. I don't think that I will need to do much for sidemount considering that I Poseidon regs...they feed to either side.

Back
Top Bottom