New octo reg needed- pointers welcome!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone-

I'm new to ScubaBoard, but have been diving for about 4 years now. I just got some hand-me-down gear from my instructor that I've been using. Unfortunately, someone dropped some gear on my reg a few weeks ago and smashed the face plate of my octo- Although the diaphragm was still intact. I've been looking for a replacement face plate, but the model is no longer being made and it would cost just as much to get a replacement part as it would to just get a new octo.

That said, I've scoured the web trying to find tips about octos-- the best bang for your buck, etc. I dive recreationally and rarely go deeper than 120 feet.

Any pointers would be great. I'd like to have an idea of what to look for before purchasing an octo reg at a dive shop.

Many thanks!

It would be helpful to know what you are currently using for a first stage and primary regulator.

Remember that the "Octo" is the reg you go to when things go bad and tension/panic is high. The last thing you want is for your emergency reg to not perform or under perform. This is the reason many divers use the same regulator for their "octo" or back-up regulator as they do for their primary regulator.

Oh...and Welcome to the board!

Welcome, there is definitely something to ensure the octo isn't just a tuned down version of your primary. Many prefer to have identical second stages for performance, familiarity and maintenance. Certainly its a good choice if there is ever a chance of looking into sidemount or technical diving.

Many prefer to have identical second stages for performance, familiarity and maintenance.

I RARELY agree with Deco, but this is a great point and something to be considered. Just remember, octos are to be used in emergency situations. Don't you want a good-performing regulator in an emergency situation? I know I do!

What are you currently using as your first and second stages?

If you don't go with another identical 2nd stage I recommend an integrated octo for a more streamline set up. Just make sure you practice ascents while breathing off of it BEFORE you have an emergency.

I recommend the Atomic SS1 as an alternate air source. It's light, eliminates an extra hose your system and breaths great.

I dive an Oceanic Alpha 8 octo and it is fine. I would also recommend getting a good value regulator as your octo that can pull double duty if you get more advanced with your diving--like picking up a Hollis DC3/212 or a Hog regulator....both are around $200 on diverightinscuba. Use the 2nd stage and keep the first stages for if you ever dive doubles or if anything ever happens to your current first stage.

Hi everyone-

I'm new to ScubaBoard, but have been diving for about 4 years now. I just got some hand-me-down gear from my instructor that I've been using.

What have you been using your instructor for? hehe

Any decent 2nd stage will work fine. Used 2nd stages are often a good deal. If you can get one that is the same brand as your primary reg, it might simplify service. But other than that there is no reason to get an 'identical' 2nd stage to your primary, just get something that would also suffice as a primary 2nd stage. In fact, if you have a so-so 2nd stage, you could get a higher quality one and use your current primary as your alternate.

Avoid the octo-inflator combo, there are some real drawbacks to them and they don't offer any significant advantage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom