What kind of Black Friday deals should be expected?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Egkid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've decided on an mk25/s600 for my first regulator setup and found what I think to be a decent deal on Amazon for $749 with an R295 octopus, versus the normal $729 for just the 1st and 2nd stage. Or do you guys think I'll be better off waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday? Deals come and go on Amazon so I doubt this will still be around for another month. I figure I'd be spending anywhere from $120-$200 on an octopus if I buy separately.

I'd end up kicking myself in the ass if they go on sale for $550. What have you guys seen in the past?

generally scubapros aren't in the list of black friday deals and it is likely sold by another company so it isn't something that Amazon would put on their markdowns. Scubapro has MAP's which make them difficult to mark down for sales like that. There will be other deals on similar regs from other manufacturers, the HOG BP2 is very similar of a first stage, almost identical to Halcyons copy of the MK25, and you can practically steal those since most of the tech crowd prefers diaphragms.

HOG BP2 First Stage - Dive Right in Scuba
$110 for the first stage. Mike can set you up with a setup using that first stage for less than half of what you'll pay for the scubapros and you can learn to service them yourself down the road.

Scubapro usually DOES have deep discounts on the previous model year products when the new ones come out. I can't remember exactly when the new models come out but generally they have a "2012" or "2013" or "2014" version of the s600/mk25. I seem to remember getting one of my s600/mk25 combos brand new from an authorized scubapro dealer for about $450 with warranty and parts program and all.

Otherwise scubapro dealers are authorized to give an in store discount; I think it's 10% off msrp and absolutely no more but I can't remember for sure. If you go to a brick and mortar store and don't get that then you've been had.

Lots of online "grey market" sales of scubapro stuff is out there. I believe you lose the warranty and "parts for life" program. There's some pretty serious limitations on the latter so it's easy to lose the "parts for life" and you can't get it back once lost. Like if you wait until the 53rd week to get your regulator serviced...

That about sums up all the negatives I can think of about scubapro. The products themselves are top notch. The only other brand I might consider would be atomic. They've got a more customer service oriented reputation and seem to have the only swivel that seems to be generally considered safe.

Tbone I've debated on a Hog's setup and I'm sure at some point in time I'll own one. But for my first setup I want to start with a top notch regulator.

So it sounds like there will be a pretty good chance of finding a better deal then. Yeah I've heard about their parts for life fine print issues. Worse case scenario I'll try to find parts to service it myself although I heard it can be tricky finding the parts if you're not a dealer.

Edit...
Dang it! I made up my mind earlier on Hog vs Scubapro but man the price difference sure is appealing on the Hog setup. I have until the holiday sales to make up my mind I guess.

I would say that looking for a HOG set up on Black Friday would be a very smart thing to do. Some dealers may even sell for less then they can advertise. But I would never do something like that.

OK, yeah I would!

you won't get scubapro branded parts for those regs yourself, I can almost guarantee that... The Hog regs have had their issues but it's always a "for the price" debate. Check the listings on here, it's not like there is much that can go wrong with them, and used +service is just as good as new + a few scratches since almost all of the nonmetal parts are replaced, spare the diaphragms. Can get a first and second for like $400, there's a few on here now if you're set on that setup. I don't like the piston first stages because of environmental sealing issues, but some do

Dive Right In has a D3 first stage with a zennith second stage for $325 new (Hog D3 Regulator Set - Dive Right in Scuba) right now and it's only $10 for the yoke conversion. That's what's got me thinking twice, spending less than half for a regulator that is starting to get a good following.

I've found o.e.m. mk25/s600 rebuild kits on ebay but I've read they could be a few years old. But o-rings would be the only thing I'd be worried about and those are easy enough to find.

almost identical to Halcyons copy of the MK25,

Are you suggesting that Halcyon manufactures copies of the MK25?

you won't get scubapro branded parts for those regs yourself, I can almost guarantee that... The Hog regs have had their issues but it's always a "for the price" debate. Check the listings on here, it's not like there is much that can go wrong with them, and used +service is just as good as new + a few scratches since almost all of the nonmetal parts are replaced, spare the diaphragms. Can get a first and second for like $400, there's a few on here now if you're set on that setup. I don't like the piston first stages because of environmental sealing issues, but some do

How about ~$180 for a new Classic first+second (and environmentally sealed) right now at DRIS (using Scubaboard discount)

Back
Top Bottom