necklace not annoying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I read and see that it's pretty popular to put the alternate 2nd stage reg on a necklace and then use a long hose under the right arm for the primary 2nd stage.

It seems like that could be annoying if you're trying to look down. Possibly get under your chin. And, block your view if you're trying to look at your BC buckle or something on the lower part of your torso.

Is that not the case?

Does anyone ever put their alternate 2nd stage on the same 22 or 24" inch hose (like for a necklace), but then run it over the right shoulder and down to some kind of octo keeper attached to the right shoulder strap of the BC? I realize that you could not then get the reg in your mouth without using a hand, but I seem to read where a number of folks using necklaces don't do that anyway. And, of course, for DIR folks, I guess that would be non-standard placement. But, for regular Rec diving would that not be just as good or better than having it on a necklace?

Thanks in advance for sharing any insight.

I read and see that it's pretty popular to put the alternate 2nd stage reg on a necklace and then use a long hose under the right arm for the primary 2nd stage.

It seems like that could be annoying if you're trying to look down. Possibly get under your chin. And, block your view if you're trying to look at your BC buckle or something on the lower part of your torso.

Is that not the case?

Does anyone ever put their alternate 2nd stage on the same 22 or 24" inch hose (like for a necklace), but then run it over the right shoulder and down to some kind of octo keeper attached to the right shoulder strap of the BC? I realize that you could not then get the reg in your mouth without using a hand, but I seem to read where a number of folks using necklaces don't do that anyway. And, of course, for DIR folks, I guess that would be non-standard placement. But, for regular Rec diving would that not be just as good or better than having it on a necklace?

Thanks in advance for sharing any insight.

I do bump it occasionally when I look down even causing a little burp of gas; but I don't find it annoying. At worst, it would cost you a couple dollars for enough bungee cord to find out 1st hand.

No problem for me. The most important thing is: I know where it is when I need it the most!

I do bump it occasionally when I look down even causing a little burp of gas; but I don't find it annoying. At worst, it would cost you a couple dollars for enough bungee cord to find out 1st hand.

Plus the cost of the correct length hose?

What awap and AJ said. I know exactly where it is and it is accessible instantly. I can see what you say about it possibly obstructing your view when you look towards your torso but for some reason this has never been an issue for me. I suppose that if I want to see it that badly I would just back-kick to get a better look.

Maybe I wear mine a little too loose. I have never felt any restriction. My biggest issue is to remember to take it off when doffing my gear.
RichH

What awap and AJ said. I know exactly where it is and it is accessible instantly. I can see what you say about it possibly obstructing your view when you look towards your torso but for some reason this has never been an issue for me. I suppose that if I want to see it that badly I would just back-kick to get a better look.

How would a back-kick give you a better view of your torso, if a reg on a necklace is in the way? (forgive my ignorance - I am a newb!)

Also, wouldn't a diver with an octo in the traditional Rec config also say that they know exactly where it is, and it's accessible with maybe 1/2 second longer time than on a necklace?

[Remember: I'm a newb. Just finished confined water work - so I know I may be asking a stupid question]

I like the idea of having the primary be the intended donor reg. There should never be an issue of my buddy finding it, that way. Nor ever an issue handing it to my buddy only to find out it's not working for some reason. Or my buddy sucking a mouthful of silt.

And I like the idea of streamlining the hose for the alternate.

But, I get really bugged by having my mask pulled down and hanging around my neck on the surface, so I'm imagining myself being bugged by having a reg hanging there. As well as being bugged by not easily being able to see down. Thus my question about having the same setup except running over the shoulder and down, and clipping the alternate to the right shoulder strap.

Yep, sometimes when I look down and bump it with my chin I do find it slightly annoying, but the annoyance is offset by knowing that if I ever need to use it, it's right there under my chin.

I suggest you try it. I'm guessing you tend to question everything, so why not just answer your own question?

I don't even notice that it's there I'm not sure what the OP means by obstructing view, since it's under your chin, and I can't really see it by looking down, or feel it when I do look down. You can use more or less bungee to keep it tighter or looser as you prefer, if that's an issue, but it's a great configuration.

Some people say that they can switch to it hands free when it's on a necklace - I haven't practiced that skill much, but that's not something you can do with a reg clipped to your shoulder strap. Also, it's more streamlined and less of an entanglement hazard to have it under your chin, IMO (maybe not much difference, but some).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom