Shorten LP Hose on Atomic T-3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shucksun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I invested in a complete T-3 setup. My first stage and both of my regs are T-3's bought a second T-3, not the matching Octo Reg). When I got the 2nd stages I placed them on my existing setup: 40' underarm routing for the primary 2nd, and the backup 2nd on a 24" LP worn under my chin on a neck bungee. For this setup both factory LP's hoses were set aside and I used a Omni swivel on the primary and no swivel on the backup.

Then I got frustrated that I wasn't using the factory swivels so I went convention and placed the primary on the factory LP hose and ran the backup on a 40" yellow flex LP and clipped it on my right shoulder D-ring. I basically hate this setup. Conventional Octo routing is a pain, I don't trust it, and the factory LP hose "Bows Out" and catches against the kelp fronds. Why do they make these so long?

What I need to do is shorten that factory hose to 24". Although the Atomic swivel looks like it has a trick fitting the First Stage end of the factory hose looks to have a convention fitting. Is there a company out there that will shorten the stock hose?

Thanks.

none of this is to be an a$$, so disclaimer because it'll sound like it

is it really necessary to post this twice? Especially since there is no way in hell Atomic will respond to that thread other than "we don't recommend cutting our hoses"

You can't shorten regulator hoses easily, it's just not worth it. To do it, you have to find the fittings, then go to a hydraulic shop, have them cut the original fitting off and crimp a new one on the end. May or may not be worth doing, but finding the right fitting and a hydraulic shop that will do it in LA is probably wishful thinking.

Why on earth would you feel frustrated that you weren't using the factory swivels when you clearly had a setup that was working for you? If you want to use a swivel, just put it on your primary and run it down and back up, use a 24" hose on the secondary and call it good. Using that setup you don't need any swivels on the secondary...

I invested in a complete T-3 setup. My first stage and both of my regs are T-3's bought a second T-3, not the matching Octo Reg). When I got the 2nd stages I placed them on my existing setup: 40' underarm routing for the primary 2nd, and the backup 2nd on a 24" LP worn under my chin on a neck bungee. For this setup both factory LP's hoses were set aside and I used a Omni swivel on the primary and no swivel on the backup.

Then I got frustrated that I wasn't using the factory swivels so I went convention and placed the primary on the factory LP hose and ran the backup on a 40" yellow flex LP and clipped it on my right shoulder D-ring. I basically hate this setup. Conventional Octo routing is a pain, I don't trust it, and the factory LP hose "Bows Out" and catches against the kelp fronds. Why do they make these so long?

What I need to do is shorten that factory hose to 24". Although the Atomic swivel looks like it has a trick fitting the First Stage end of the factory hose looks to have a convention fitting. Is there a company out there that will shorten the stock hose?

Thanks.

The factory swivels are very nice, especially the titanium ones. However, they're annoyingly long and in keeping with AA's theme of excellent products and support but not giving options, you can't easily get a custom length without buying the useless stock one first. Your best bet is to sell the nice stock ones and get on with life. If you must have a shorter hose that's got AA's branding on it, call AA and say you want a custom titanium swivel hose. They'll make you one, but it'll cost almost as much as a Z3 reg set.

Back
Top Bottom