Important to test new reg in pool for going on trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it necessary to test a newly puchased reg setup in the pool before heading on a trip to the warm waters?

Necessary? Not especially.
Good idea? Yes.

ScubaTexas:
Is it necessary to test a newly puchased reg setup in the pool before heading on a trip to the warm waters?
It is to me.
It has been my experience that new and newly overhauled regulators are far more likely to have dive-canceling problems than one I've been using right along. I therefore always test a new or just-overhauled regulator in the pool for at least ten minutes or so before taking it on a trip.
Rick

ScubaTexas:

For me it depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing there.

For example, went on a family vacation with some diving to Hawaii and it wasn't convenient to test before hand: I went without testing. Since it was primarily a Family Trip if I missed some diving it wasn't any big deal. Repair was handily available from numerous sources.

On the other hand I went on a Liveaboard that was a Diving Trip. There every piece of gear, not just the regulators, were checked, tested and retested before going. If it broke I was out a lot and repair wasn't available.

Since I don't see many divers doing it; maybe I should point out also that my personal protocol is to breath multiple breaths through each regulator before every dive. So, the most likely malfunctions of a regulator will be picked up before getting in the water.

Definitely a good idea, for new, newly serviced, and even "been lying around dry for months." I found myself on Grand Cayman once with a freshly serviced reg the shop had royally screwed up. Fortunately it's pretty easy to get most stuff fixed there, but some places you'd be out of luck.

At the very least hook the thing up to a tank and breathe off it, not the same as being in the water but will show up some problems. When I get regs serviced I like to do this before even leaving the shop.

Can't hurt to check out your BC too. I've had a scratch inside the power inflator cause the BC to slowly inflate on it's own, an inflator hose leak where a critter nibbled on it, etc.

A regulator that has just been serviced will develop a seating groove in the second stage seat after about a week and may need to be readjusted to prevent a slight freeflow if it was intially tuned on the light side.

Similarly a reg that has sat around all winter may have a second stage seat that has developed more of a groove due to the prolonged contact with the orifice and will potentially either freeflow slightly when the tank is turned on, or worse, will have a cracking effort that is slightly too light for the current condition of the seat and will freeflow slightly when in the water.

This slight freeflow is due to the height difference between the center of the diaphragm and the top of the exahaust valve and the difference in water pressure will cause a slight freeflow if the pressure difference is enough to start air flowing through the valve.

With an adjustable second stage this is no big deal as the diver just cranks the adjustment knob in a turn or two to solve the problem. With a non adjustable reg, you may be stuck with a slight freeflow unless you know how to make this adjustment.

We do some quick flow, IP and cracking effort tests and adjustments on regs for $5.00 for divers departing on trips. This ensures good mechanical condition and function and ensures it does not freeflow on the bench and is within the adjustement specifications but it does not 100% guarentee freeflow free service as we don't actually test them in a pool. So a pool test is still a very good idea before a trip and it is also good practice for the diver.

It's not for everyone, but there are a few basic tools you can take along to tweak your reg on a trip - assuming you have a working knowledge of your regulator and are comfortable adjusting it yourself. IP gauge, first stage spanner, hex key for the first stage to control the IP, a couple of hose spanners, and either an inline adjustment tool or a hex key / slot adjuster for the second stage to deal with freeflows etc. Definitely only if you know your way around the regulator though - a vacation is not the place to be learning regulator tuning.

Dived some personally-rebuilt regs on the weekend - much to ambulance-chasing lawyers' chagrin, I came back alive :)

Mind you, a $5.00 checkout like DA Aquamaster mentions sounds like very good value and peace of mind.

I would have to agree fromt he service tech's point of view. the seats may freeflow slightly if they areset too lightly. I would first test the reg before you left the LDS, and then I would jump in a pool. This is especially important if it is a new reg. You don't want to get to your destination and 'learn' how to breath on the new reg as all regs are a little different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom