Conshelf Service - Recommend a Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tech3324

Lionfish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My main regulator is a well maintained 1974 Conshelf. I have no complaints about the reg at all, but the servicing is getting really expensive. The only good shop in my area charges about $130 for a routine service on the 1st/2nd/octo stages, which just feels excessive compared to earlier years.

So, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a technician who works on Conshelf, accepts mailed in regulators for service, and has more reasonable pricing.

Or maybe $130 is considered reasonable now for routine service from a top technician. Let me know.

for a two week turn around, $30/stage plus parts is about right. So you're at $90 service plus parts, and $40 for parts on all of them is rather normal. The better thing would be to get an IP gauge, and just dive it until the IP starts creeping, then bring it in for service. No need to bring it in every year, only when things start going wrong. You'll start seeing the IP creep slowly and that's when it's time to go. This should be part of everyones predive checks, but unfortunately often goes missing.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/rebreathers/consumables.shtml#2918
$8 for the cheap one, $20 for the fancy one.

for a two week turn around, $30/stage plus parts is about right. So you're at $90 service plus parts, and $40 for parts on all of them is rather normal. The better thing would be to get an IP gauge, and just dive it until the IP starts creeping, then bring it in for service. No need to bring it in every year, only when things start going wrong. You'll start seeing the IP creep slowly and that's when it's time to go. This should be part of everyones predive checks, but unfortunately often goes missing.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/rebreathers/consumables.shtml#2918
$8 for the cheap one, $20 for the fancy one.

I tend to agree, if the user properly and carefully rinses and stores the reg. after every use. If there is any possibility of getting water in the first stage it must be serviced, unless, along with the IP gauge, you get the few tools and basic information needed to do your own work. It's not rocket science.

My shop charges $30 per stage plus parts. If you provide the parts kits, we only charge labor. Turn around is usually 24 to 36 hours unless for some reason we have to order additional parts that are not in stock. We are Aqualung Factory trained. All service includes the following:
-initial diagnostic
-ultrasonic cleaning
-annual service
-HP seat breaking in and fine tuning
-replacement of HP spool orings
-Replacement of hose Orings
-flushing and scrubbing of LP hoses
-calibration of SPG
-all associated diagnostic paperwork

Return shipping with tracking is included in the cost. We can also do O2 cleaning for an additional charge. if interested, you can email me at tanktest@gmail.com

v/r

Myles

Thanks guys, great information!

Sounds like $130 for service isn't unreasonable, but I'll keep Myles's info for next service.

I do have an IP gauge, this one: Tech Diver IP Gauge - Universal Inflator
I have checked IP but never used it as a diagnostic tool to watch for IP creep. I'll start doing that, and thanks for the tip.

As to why I don't service my own reg as Eric asked, not sure I have the skills to do it myself for the first time.
I do have the Conshelf tech manual, know where to buy the service kit, and have most of the required tools like 1st stage handle, spanners, etc from Scuba Tools. However, I don't want to attempt an overhaul on my main regulator unless someone with experience could monitor my work. There's got to be a learning curve, and I don't want my reg spread out on the bench and find myself needing a tool, part, or skill that I don't presently have. Man's gotta know his limitations.

What I might do in the future is take the HOG service class or experiment with another Conshelf 1st stage that I don't dive with.

might as well just learn how to do it since you have all of the tools. The IP gauge is your friend and unfortunately the only real diagnostic tool that you can use to determine how a regulator is functioning. Servicing isn't all that difficult so long as you follow the manuals, most of which are pretty good

I dive a conshelf xiv supreme that has not been serviced in yrs... Like never... Changed out diaphragm and put a new seat in wifes main... Check IP and DIVE IT... Oh.. And new mouthpieces... :wink:

Jim...

You guys are talking me into it. Guess I'll order the service kit and have a look into my NOS Conshelf xiv 1st stage.

Any opinions about how a HOG D1 compares to a Conshelf 1st stage in ease of servicing?

There is not a whole lot to a regulator... Work clean and careful not to nick the brass... A very, very little lube of christo lube and take your time... I use the kitchen sink to set the crack setting... I remove the mouthpiece and have a clear hose thats marked every 1/8 inch...

The biggest thing you can do to make your regulators last is rinsing with fresh water.... I turn off the air and shake the 2nd stage with the purge button in so clean water gets on the back side of the seat... Then turn the tank on and purge the water out.... Been doing it for 35+ yrs... :wink:

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom