H2Odyssey or Oceanic GT3 for pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kairoos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking to get a a 19 cf Catalina pony tank, and I'm undecided on the regulator. My main regulator is a Zeagle Flathead LT, but I have no interest in spending that much on a pony reg. I like the H2Odyssey regulator since it seems like it would simplify things quite a bit, but on the other hand having another usable yoke regulator in the GT3 is nice.

I know the GT3 breathes okay as I've used one before on rentals, but what's everyone's opinions on the H2Odyssey?

edit: I went with the GT3. It seems like a simpler product and possibly more reliable since that design is time-proven. I also went with a 30cf pony, so it's a good enough size to wrap the hose around neatly.

Last edited:
I love my H2Odyssey. Been using it for years. It's tiny and reliable.

I would not buy that thing. If something fails or breaks you will be hard pressed to fix it on the boat. If a normal reg component breaks or soemthing, you can often switch out components and salvage the dive.

Get a cheap plug gage like this:

Mini Spg Nitrox Ready!

maybe a cheap reg like this:

Balance Piston Din First Stage "For Pony / Stage Bottles!" "Nitrox Ready!"

And steal the octopus off your existing reg..
Well that was my thought. That thing doesn't look as simple as a standard piston reg. I have an Octo-Z, so no octo on a hose to remove so I got an Oceanic GT3, inexpensive and adequate for a backup.

Looking to get a a 19 cf Catalina pony tank, and I'm undecided on the regulator. My main regulator is a Zeagle Flathead LT, but I have no interest in spending that much on a pony reg. I like the H2Odyssey regulator since it seems like it would simplify things quite a bit, but on the other hand having another usable yoke regulator in the GT3 is nice.

I know the GT3 breathes okay as I've used one before on rentals, but what's everyone's opinions on the H2Odyssey?

edit: I went with the GT3. It seems like a simpler product and possibly more reliable since that design is time-proven. I also went with a 30cf pony, so it's a good enough size to wrap the hose around neatly.

You'll be wanting to sell that pony or just not taking it with you in 6 months...:):)

You'll be wanting to sell that pony or just not taking it with you in 6 months...:):)
Haha, only time will tell. I can always buy a 13 cf tank if I feel the 30 is just too large. A 13 is only about $100, and the 30 was $130. I wouldn't be bummed out at that price if it wasn't the equipment of my dreams. At least it will always hold some resale value, not like I'd be selling a used wetsuit :D.

I dive too often with random charter buddies (mostly always newly certified divers) and I just don't feel confident on their abilities, or even my own at times since I'm still very new to this sport. I would rather lug an extra tank around then rely on someone who I have never practiced emergency scenarios with and who may freak out and bolt to the surface or do something silly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom