How do you avoid your second stage regs..... from getting scratched?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaronad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm embarrassed to say that I can't figure out a way to avoid the second stage or the octopuses from getting this annoying scratches....:( :confused:

I think that most of them happen at the stage I'm connecting the tank / replacing tank...
when the second stages is falling or dragged on the ground and etc

what you advise me to do ?.....
:)

Don't dive? Bout the only way to keep that from happening. I don't see them as scratches. I look at them as character and experience.

Well dragging on the ground should not be part of the equation. Work from a tailgate, van, lawn, table, boat, tarp etc. The should put the end to abrasive dirt. The to some extent you can't prevent incidental contact to it is what it is. Within reason especially with plastic it's of no concequence. If you have some nice chrome then it becomes a blow to vanity.

One other thing you can to is add a second second stage keeper to use for your primary. Especially after the dive I will put the second astage in its keeper so if I am dropping my rig to a tarp or on the grass the second stage if high and safe.

Still anther measure is to get a double hose regulator that puts all of the components in a neat little package high and safe on top of the cylinder.

Pete

bolt snap on the primary, suicide strap on the secondary. Strap gets clipped to the primary and primary clipped to right shoulder D-ring. They should never touch the ground. That being said, I do cave dive so my regs have some character, and all regs will get some character eventually. Not going to stop it, especially since they can get scratched in gear boxes or bags

I have bolt snaps on my hoses and clip them off to D-ring when not in use. They never drag on the ground.

bolt snap on the primary, suicide strap on the secondary. Strap gets clipped to the primary and primary clipped to right shoulder D-ring. They should never touch the ground. That being said, I do cave dive so my regs have some character, and all regs will get some character eventually. Not going to stop it, especially since they can get scratched in gear boxes or bags

Many THX... :) look that bolt snaps should do the trick

I never drag on the ground. I don't drag on the bottom. I keep in a bag when traveling. But over 300 dives on the regs have give the plastic a nice matte finish instead of shiny. Best thing is that scratches no longer show.

If it really bothers you, you can have the shop replace the plastic housing and cover every few years.

Personally, all I care about is that it works.

Eventually, the scratches will get covered up by other scratches, so you won't see them. :cool:

You can try throwing it in a soft bag when you get out of the water, something like a crown royal bag I suppose?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom