Can I mix 1st stages from one brand with 2nd stage from another brand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amilling

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a couple of Aqualung Titan LX Supreme regulator sets, but wants to start sidemount diving, and consider buying a couple of Hollis DC1 1st stages, since they have the swivel and 5th port so useful for sidemount diving.

Can I use the Hollis 1st stages with my Aqualung 2nd stages?

I assume I can, but are 1st and 2nd stages designed to work so closely together, that it would be a disadvantage to mix them?

no issues, the second stage tuning might be slightly different if the firsts are set to different IP's, but during the next service the tech will tune them to each other. It won't be a particularly noticeable difference and may not be noticeable at all. Only problem children are the Poseidon first stages which use a very low IP for the Xstream and Jetstream second stages, about 125 instead of 135-145 for "normal" second stages, and the Cyklons which use 165psi.

I use a HOG Classic 2nd with a Conshelf 1st and it breathes beautifully.

It could be an issue if you need to take them to two different places for service. Not all techs service all brands.

It could be an issue if you need to take them to two different places for service. Not all techs service all brands.

That is probably the only real consideration. A good tech should be happy to service any reg they can get parts for.... in an ideal world. But in the real world not all techs service all brands.

Most of my regulator sets are "Franken-regs", sometimes with with each stage from a different manufacturer.

My very favorites are diaphragm 1sts (either Mares or Zeagle) coupled with Scubapro -109 2nds. But I often mix and match, and now have HOG 2nds to throw into the mix... but none of this brand mixing is an issue for me because I service my own regs.

Best wishes.

I know there are some good deals on the hollis first stages but I've heard it's tough to get parts, any one confirm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can't buy Hollis kits without being a certified tech at a dealer. Sucks.... They are the same first stages as HOG coming out of the ODS factory in Taiwan, just buy the HOG's so you can get parts for them. Halcyon has locked their parts down as well though they are a little easier to get if you know the secret handshake, but Hollis won't budge.

Back
Top Bottom